MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: .htaccess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all

I apologise if anybody's IQ regresses while reading this, because we are travelling into the abyss-full depths of my noobness here Blush

I am the timid admin of a MyBB forum which sits at 1.8.3 and it's about time we updated to 1.8.6. I have searched these forums for information pertaining to correct and proper method to initiate an update, but the posts are a bit outdated that I'm afraid they might be redundant.

According to this document, I think I'll have all bases covered except .htaccess which I'm still trying to get my head around.

What I'm learning is:

1. Enable something in ACP called search friendly URL (why I don't know)
  2. A sample htaccess.txt file exists that I rename .htaccess
  3. Perform update?

I have absolutely no doubt that I have grossly oversimplified this so if I could kindly request some pro tips, then this and the next update won't be as stressful!

Anfo
You don't need to enable SEF urls to upgrade MyBB. The document suggests you prevent access to your forum while upgrading via a .htaccess file.

Example:

order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 111.222.333.444

Replace 111.222.333.444 with your external IP address and put it in your .htaccess file. If all goes well only you will be able to access your forum. After upgrading, simply delete the .htaccess file. Smile
I have a feeling I've tried this, but it wasn't working (others could still access the forum). Do I place this file in the root of the forum folder or somewhere else?
The root of your forum, yes. However, it's only a suggestion. Putting your forum offline via the ACP settings is still a viable option. For a small upgrade such as this you should be fine to go ahead without denying access completely. Smile
(2015-10-20, 09:29 AM)anfo Wrote: [ -> ]I have a feeling I've tried this, but it wasn't working (others could still access the forum). Do I place this file in the root of the forum folder or somewhere else?

Are you on an Apache server?
(2015-10-20, 08:43 PM)SentoWeb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-20, 09:29 AM)anfo Wrote: [ -> ]I have a feeling I've tried this, but it wasn't working (others could still access the forum). Do I place this file in the root of the forum folder or somewhere else?

Are you on an Apache server?

Yes