MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Premoded MyBB Gold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is a question to mybbmods and mybbplant. Have you guys ever thought of releasing a Premoded MyBB with all of the hacks available to date bundled into one installer?

Since many premoded versions of PhpBB are available on the net. So why not a premoded version of MyBB is also introduced? I am sure it will enhance MyBB's user base and will be something new for its current and future users? With permission from Chris and moders, all the hacks could be given in such a package in an On/Off format so that MyBB gets more popular due to being functions and option-rich. You never know who likes what. So more features, more better. Opinions invited Smile
I think it's the best ideaBig Grin It would be great to have the MODs built right in! Save me alot of time it my server takes a dump on meToungue
Yes it would save time for users, but it would take a very long time for the people to make the mods so you can turn them on/off and install the mods with the forum installation. What someone could do is install all of the mods, then after someone installs the forum software they could run the installers for mods that need time, like Casey's tutorial mod, or any mod that needs to make new tables and rows in mysql.
Interesting idea. I give my permission to anyone who wants to do this. I'd like EI in there though Toungue
as i know that Chris would not allow this.

you cant release modified versions.

everyone have to mod the board script themselve.

decswxaqz Wrote:Interesting idea. I give my permission to anyone who wants to do this. I'd like EI in there though Toungue

If they are not inbuilt, than EI should really be there. And for future updates, I think EI will be extremely useful. But moders will have to make their work compatible and I don't know how much of efforts will go into that.

ELY_M Wrote:as i know that Chris would not allow this.

Very much possible. But see PhPBB has given permission for premoded versions. And since the copyrights tags will remain intact, so Chris may not make objection. But fianlly only he can advise us on this.
ELY_M is correct. It will go against the EULA of myBB which Chris wrote, which states that
Quote:You may not reproduce or distribute the MyBB SOFTWARE for any reason with out express written consent from the entire MyBulletinBoard seat holding Admin Board.
So you actually need to two permissions from chirs for this idea:

a) To put all mods in it (reproducing)
b) to offer for download from an external site (distribution)
It is still possible Chris may grant permission, but I would not count on it.

I honestly do not think it should be allowed because too many people would think that MyBB should be responsible for supporting such modded boards. In addition, if Chris wanted a feature to be included in a MyBB package, I would think he would include it himself.
k776 Wrote:to offer for download from an external site (distribution)

That's why I mentioned that mybbmods.com or mybbplanet.com guys could offer it from their site since these are the site that are currently offering mods.

Matt Light Wrote:I honestly do not think it should be allowed because too many people would think that MyBB should be responsible for supporting such modded boards.
In any other such case, like vB or PhpBB, it is clearly stipulated that support for mods is not a resonsibility of the developers of main software. In fact I think PhpBB has a team which checks a mod and officially validate it. But it is only for security point of view as support for mod still remins a baby of the moder.

Matt Light Wrote:In addition, if Chris wanted a feature to be included in a MyBB package, I would think he would include it himself.

Lets be practical Matt, if Chris doesn't think that a feature is required, it doesn't mean that no-one will require it by default. If he doesn't wear jeans, shall you also not do so? And if this is still a case, what is the purpose of mybbmods.com and mybbplanet.com since they are offering only what Chris did not offer. Should they cease to exist? As I said earlier, you never know who wants what Smile
First off, I am not sure why you were reiterating that you said mybbmods.com or mybbplanet.com. Both sites are third party and are restricted by the license just as much as any other unofficial mod site.

And now how about you be practical. Just because it is stipulated that the mods are not supported by the official support team, do you really think that is going to stop people from expecting support?

Also, I did not say that if he does not want it no one else will want it. My point was if he did not feel the need for it to be included in the default MyBB package then why would he feel the need for having third party packages to make up for what he felt unnecessary? If someone wants to add the functionality they can mod their files.

I am not saying that Chris is going to say no, but I think it's more trouble for him than it's worth.
Pages: 1 2 3