MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IPB 4 got hacked to pieces?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:17 PM

It has come to our attention that someone managed to get their hands on a database dump of the FORUMS members table used in our forum database.

We apologize for the inconvenience and concern this may cause you.

*UPDATED*
Based on research, we believe that the individual(s) responsible utilized some exploits available in the forum software that allowed them to run a php script that dumped the data from the forum user table.

While the passwords are hashed a number of time and in many cases salted, someone who is highly motivated to do so, may be able to derive your original password, especially if you did not use good password practices.  

A hash password can not be decrypted, but by generating rainbow tables, crackers can determine if your password matched one of many they may have in a database.

The table also includes your name, so it may or may not associate you with the email address you used to register.

We highly recommend that you take the following actions:

1. Change your password
2. Change the password on any system where you used the same account name/email/password combination.
3. Use unique high/quality passwords on any and all systems you frequent now and in the future.

Should we make any additional determinations or discoveries in relation to this issue, we will provide updates here.

*PLEASE NOTE*
We will not be deleting accounts upon request. We stated that we would not delete accounts for any reason in our TOS when you signed up. Deleting accounts is not going to retrieve the user table data.

Anyone hear anything about this exploit and is mybb vulnerable?
Can you link me to the official post of this? I can't seem to find it.
this is from a forum I am on.....
So, its for one specific board,or for IPB4 as a whole? Very different thing.
its for a board running IPB4, no developers would just post THAT without having a solution...

hush hush
Ok, so its one board, not IPB4. Plugins create vulnerabilities as well; they SAY forum software; they dont say core.
IPB4 developers and those using it, are like MAC users, they want things idiot-proof'ed....LOL

thats why their brand is losing to zenforo, whose developer community is superior
This was PHP Freaks, but there are much larger IPB forums out there. If it was a 0day the attackers would target larger forums for a larger reward.

And no, MyBB doesn't share the same vulnerability. Apples and oranges.
i assume vulnerability would stem from php anyways Toungue