MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PgSQL support in upgrade from 1.6.9 to 1.8???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will there be PgSQL support for upgrading a PostgreSQL database from 1.6.9 to 1.8.x? It's clearly not supported, now. I reverted everything back to 1.6.9 for now.

I'm open to suggestions. Is it possible to unload the database and reload it into MySQL? I would think some things might not transfer (like sequences). I have both database engines on my server, I just prefer to work with PostgreSQL. When I installed MyBB, I didn't know that PgSQL was only partly supported.

Otherwise, I guess I'll stick with 1.6 until I can find a better solution.
Quote:I reverted everything back to 1.6.9 for now.

You should at least upgrade to the latest 1.6 release. Although 1.6 is no longer supported, it's still considered secure while 1.6.9 is not.

What issues have you faced upgrading 1.6 to 1.8?
It should be fully supported. Of course you should meet the version requirement: http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/ If you do and something goes wrong, please provide the error message instead of directly assuming it's not supported at all.. It's called a "bug report".
(2015-11-02, 11:07 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]It should be fully supported. Of course you should meet the version requirement: http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/ If you do and something goes wrong, please provide the error message instead of directly assuming it's not supported at all.. It's called a "bug report".

I do meet the version requirements, and I wouldn't call it a bug when the syntax provided for alter table is unsupported by PostgreSQL. Even with PgSQL 9.x, you cannot combine an alter column type with a set not null directive, much less tacking on a default value.

The update failed immediately with the following SQL syntax being rejected:

ALTER TABLE emsf_polls ALTER COLUMN numvotes TYPE text NOT NULL

There are many similar commands in the update script. I am of the opinion it was never tested on PgSQL, and I wouldn't call that a bug. I'd call it a lack of support.

The reason I haven't upgraded to the latest 1.6 version is because the last 2 times I updated I had to put back a bug fix for PgSQL that I had reported in your bug tracking system, but was not addressed. It was a very simple fix, and I included the fix in the bug report, but it wasn't included in the following 2 updates.

Look, I'm a volunteer, and I manage a lot of web-sites, blogs, etc. for non-profits, and I have a full time job. I only have so much time to dedicate to these things.
(2015-11-02, 02:59 PM)oakstreet1 Wrote: [ -> ]The update failed immediately with the following SQL syntax being rejected:

ALTER TABLE emsf_polls ALTER COLUMN numvotes TYPE text NOT NULL
Okay, there is a bug in the upgrade script from 1.6.9 to 1.6.10. Since there is only one query modifying the database structure we probably haven't tested it with PgSQL as thoroughly as we should have.
(2015-11-02, 02:59 PM)oakstreet1 Wrote: [ -> ]There are many similar commands in the update script. I am of the opinion it was never tested on PgSQL, and I wouldn't call that a bug. I'd call it a lack of support.
That doesn't mean PgSQL is not supported. Unfortunately we only have few users running MyBB with SQLite and PgSQL which means we depend on feedback and bug reports of these users. MyBB 1.6.10 has been released over 2 years ago but I can't find anybody reporting this specific bug.

Upgrading to MyBB 1.8.0 has been tested extensively with PgSQL (and SQLite) and we've fixed several bugs before the release. The list of fixed PgSQL bugs doesn't look like we don't fix bugs, does it?
(2015-11-02, 02:59 PM)oakstreet1 Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I haven't upgraded to the latest 1.6 version is because the last 2 times I updated I had to put back a bug fix for PgSQL that I had reported in your bug tracking system, but was not addressed. It was a very simple fix, and I included the fix in the bug report, but it wasn't included in the following 2 updates.
Important issues like fatal errors are usually addressed in the next release. Anything else may get deferred simply because there are more bug reports than we can handle each release.
(2015-11-02, 08:41 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]oakstreet1Upgrading to MyBB 1.8.0 has been tested extensively with PgSQL (and SQLite) and we've fixed several bugs before the release. The list of fixed PgSQL bugs doesn't look like we don't fix bugs, does it?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I've only got so much time to research and troubleshoot these things. I apologize for not spending enough time in your bugs database. I did see that someone else couldn't upgrade from 1.8.4 or something.

I probably won't have time to shutdown the forum, make backups, reload, install and test the new software until I finish some other projects.

Thanks for your assistance.