MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Seems... New users use my site to send spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've closed my forum because spammers seem to use it for their spamming needs.

http://dansmark.com/D2LC_School-Forum/index.php

I've only had new users register that have NO interest in my forum's subjects.
I began to notice my spam was increasing in my email box.

I setup the forum to send the registration to my email address, and it worked correctly for a few users.
I had no email messages for new user registrations, for a long time.
  One day I when to the forum and found a new user, then went to admin mode and found 15+ users listed.
I never received a registration email (all my spam goes into a folder, so I know the email was never sent.) from any of them.
  I banned all of them.
Spam stopped (but it never occurred to me the spam might be from my own forum users...).

1st time:
I banned all the users (none seemed interested enough to ask why they were banned), and the spam stopped suddenly.

2nd time:
Same as 1st time.
  The the last bunch of users gained access by registering (still no registration came to my email address).
After I banned them all and close my forum, I've not had any spam since!

Conclusion:
  MyBB is not working correctly, and seems spammers use it for their stupidity!
I think I may delete the forum, but I wanted to see if others have had this same problem 1st.

I did a lot of work trying to get the forum to look similar to my website (because I had no clue how to achieve it).
Surely there are some kind of safeguards in place to keep this kind of thing from happening.

Dansmark
dansmark.com
You might want to check out a few anti spam plugins.
Like such: http://community.mybb.com/thread-110224.html

-Also, if you do not mind me asking, are you using PHP mail or smtp?
-Next, what email provider do you have? (Yahoo, gmail, etc).
-Check your mail logs to make sure nothing is wrong there (admin panel --> tools & maintenance --> system mail log ).

Honestly, it could be something with your host and their email handling.
What registration method do you have set in ACP under Login and Registration Options?
there's the Stop Forum Spam settings

where is the option to receive mail on registration of new users?

Also i am a little confused, you are not getting registration notifications thru the email, BUT they are sending emails via the forums?
I would strongly suggest you to upgrade to MyBB 1.8 which has many anti spam features built in the core software.. also i would like to inform that the support for Mybb 1.6 has already ended and you wont get any official support for issues with MyBB 1.6...