MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Automatic Database Backup to Dropbox / Email / Other online services
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, in future will be possible to have Automatic Database Backup to Dropbox (or other services or to email)?

I wrote it also here: http://community.mybb.com/thread-179887.html

Until June I used Backup2Mail http://www.backup2mail.com/ but after a PHP update or I don't know what, it doesn't work more Sad and I don't find other free and easy services to use to receive database via mail or Dropbox or other online services.

I know it increases the risks (if hackers take your email or account of Dropbox and other things) and you should always check the space on the email account and the online service, but it was too comfortable backup2mail Sad
Most hosts (at least the ones that also sell domain names and web hosting packages) offer at least a weekly database backup available in the members area and/or your website control panel.

The host I use offers free daily backups (both site and database). You should check with your host to see if you have basic backups with your hosting plan. This shouldn't be something MyBB needs to handle, especially if you have multiple boards installed on the same database as each other.
Depending on the size of the database dump, most email providers will just deny the attachment from sending due it's large size. I do think database dumps should be fixed, as in they should only be allowed to download them right away (should NOT be stored on the local server since if it gets hacked, someone will have all of the data from your forum software fully).

I'm not sure about having access to dump them to a third party should be good either, since once again the size will be a huge fact in the end (along with the security risk of someone having an easy password on Dropbox for example and then having all of the details from a whole community).
(2015-11-10, 10:51 PM)KnownSyntax Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on the size of the database dump, most email providers will just deny the attachment from sending due it's large size. I do think database dumps should be fixed, as in they should only be allowed to download them right away (should NOT be stored on the local server since if it gets hacked, someone will have all of the data from your forum software fully).

I'm not sure about having access to dump them to a third party should be good either, since once again the size will be a huge fact in the end (along with the security risk of someone having an easy password on Dropbox for example and then having all of the details from a whole community).

i send backup every day to yahoo mail (1TB space (free account)), and split backup of database in 6 parts (in my case) (because yahoo mail accept 20MB each mail).
That is clearly listed in the "Plugin directory" on WordPress, I don't think it would fit as a core feature.
I think it is a very good suggestion and won't be hard seeing that Mybb 2.0 is been written on Laravel 5 framework, I have seen Dropbox auto backup package in Laravel package directory so integrating it wont be hard.
heads up for this suggestion, so far there is no plugin for this [dropbox backup is cool,using dropbox API] word-press already have similar plugin,Mybb!!!

Note:
 Not every host (50 %) provides automated mail backup or other cloud backup . They get saved on local server.
(2016-02-01, 07:33 PM)darkhk3r Wrote: [ -> ]heads up for this suggestion, so far there is no plugin for this [dropbox backup is cool,using dropbox API] word-press already have similar plugin,Mybb!!!

Note:
 Not every host (50 %) provides automated mail backup or other cloud backup . They get saved on local server.

The keyword is plugin. It is not a WordPress core feature.

Adding this as a core feature is the worst thing you can do to MyBB, especially if you have multiple boards on the same database. If people want this bad enough, request a plugin for it in the plugin section. This is not an essential feature to have in MyBB 2.0.
Yes i was talking about WP plugin Toungue not a core feature.

Also, i don't see a problem if its a core feature since two different(multiple) board will utilize two(multiple) different database and not the same .

I've already asked 3 plugin's so far and asking more i fell bit awkward. lol
there are so many hosts, gmail has no limits and about 10 Gb.....its a admin tool that admins should do personally Toungue
Pages: 1 2