MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No permissions page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I notice a bunch of soft errors appearing in webmaster tools. I have in ACP set it so that guests cannot view member profiles. However, links to member profiles still appear for guests to click on, and then are redirected to the no permissions page. The links appear in last post for eg, and on the portal side boxes, and who's online etc. My suggestion would be that these links are hidden with the above admin option set.

Same for the option to subscribe to this thread. Results in plenty of errors on usercp2.php
(2015-11-11, 09:55 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I notice a bunch of soft errors appearing in webmaster tools. I have in ACP set it so that guests cannot view member profiles. However, links to member profiles still appear for guests to click on, and then are redirected to the no permissions page. The links appear in last post for eg, and on the portal side boxes, and who's online etc. My suggestion would be that these links are hidden with the above admin option set.
It's been that way for quite a while, and for many other software. They're mostly meant to be soft reminders. Typically for a subtle "you're not logged in" or a "you're on the wrong account" (such as an administrator testing the permissions for a test account that's in a certain usergroup). They're kin to the "soft redirects," which tell you that you will be redirected to another page, instead of a cold redirect, where it immediately takes you to the next page (sometimes good, but sometimes bad, depending how it's being used). I have no problems with the "no permission" pages, but I also don't have a problem with an option to disable/remove them either.
(2015-11-11, 09:55 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Same for the option to subscribe to this thread. Results in plenty of errors on usercp2.php
User error, yes. Programming error, far from it.

MyBB 1.8 is pretty much set for core features so I'm not sure it will be implemented in future MyBB 1.8 patches. You can however suggest it for MyBB 2.0 since it's still in development, if the idea hasn't already been considered and put on a to-do list. It would likely require altering templates, so suggesting it for MyBB 2.0 would be a great way to try and get it added since they'll be using a better template engine instead of using a basic one. If the template engine will work the way I've come to understand it, then it will be a matter of adding conditional statements in MyBB 2.0 to disable links to member profiles for those who lack permission to view them.

Alternatively, while MyBB 2.0 is in development, you can request a mod / plugin for MyBB 1.8.
I am not suggesting a programming error, it's just not ideal for SEO, and the script can be improved wrt that.

Removing these links will improve the crawl efficiency as well.

May not be ideal, but I have found a plugin for 1.8 that allows php in the templates, enabling conditional statements to be implemented.
yes, version 2 is slated to have php in template in core....otherwise, you need the tpl plugin
I agree with Ashley re the subscribe button - if a person viewing the forum can't use a feature then why do we display it? If the reason is to encourage signup by showing the subscribe thread that is actually only usable by members then it should do a popup or something (like on deleting a post) that explains its only for members and to have the option to sign up, login, or close the popup and continue browsing. Not get packed off to a generic error page.
All popups need an error landing page for semantics any ways, just in case the JS gets broken.....wouldnt think its high priority