MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Template Market
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Excuse my lack of inactivity from the MyBB project. Out of curiosity for current and future development I would like to help answer a few questions for myself and other designers. Do you feel MyBB currently has a premium template market? If so, around what dollar figure are most users willing to spend? Could MyBB benefit from a new team, sole proprietor, or partnership supplying high quality, modern, and pleasing templates like what Audentio use to supply?

I would also be greatly appreciative if those who currently do supply premium themes can input.

Thanks,
Jason Liehr
Well I'm not creating premium themes but the few custom ones I made, charge 30 usd for them. Also, at least the few premium themes I saw people use are around 25-30 usd in price.

I don't think MyBB has a current premium market, I know at least a few groups or people who develops premium and custom content, but (at least my own thoughts) is not growing or moving to anywhere.

For me, there's a few facts that goes against the market, being the first and most important the communities that spend their time stealing content from the developers, instead of create and develop content. This makes people like envira, change their way to show their quality themes and start using pictures or videos to avoid the amount of dudes who wants to rip his content (Is just an example, the same happens with Audentio, Dynaxel, and more people who spend the time to create something beautiful with quality).

Cheers.

P.d.: Also, the current market for free themes isn't growing. MyBB needs more people who wants to start developing content and share it, in order to grow more and more as community.
(2015-12-10, 10:37 PM)eNvy Wrote: [ -> ]Well I'm not creating premium themes but the few custom ones I made, charge 30 usd for them. Also, at least the few premium themes I saw people use are around 25-30 usd in price.

I don't think MyBB has a current premium market, I know at least a few groups or people who develops premium and custom content, but (at least my own thoughts) is not growing or moving to anywhere.

For me, there's a few facts that goes against the market, being the first and most important the communities that spend their time stealing content from the developers, instead of create and develop content. This makes people like envira, change their way to show their quality themes and start using pictures or videos to avoid the amount of dudes who wants to rip his content (Is just an example, the same happens with Audentio, Dynaxel, and more people who spend the time to create something beautiful with quality).

Cheers.

P.d.: Also, the current market for free themes isn't growing. MyBB needs more people who wants to start developing content and share it, in order to grow more and more as community.

Thanks for your input eNvy. I do agree that the custom template market is currently here. There is several people here who insist on the best of the best. I and several others have done custom templates for $300+. In my personal opinion MyBB did use to have great premium template market for those of you who remember themes like Photoshop Bliss which was wildly successful 4(maybe 5?) times but the market is currently dead. I do feel it is revivable but it will require several others to begin developing premium content for the platform including larger plugins like what we use to have such as what like Piarata's now historic MyDownloads and MySubscriptions.

Unfortunately I do agree with your piracy/ripping comment which use to be very strong a year or two ago. Piracy is there for any sort of paid downloadable content. I feel it is just much more apparent in the MyBB community because there is(or was) so few of us who develop premium content that it appears much worse then it was. Because MyBB is a free software there is many people out there who insist everything developed for the software should be free as well.
Is anyone else available to share their opinion?
I think MyBB has no designers motivated for a market.
Hello,
Yes i would like to share the opinion in this regard.
Thanks Mr.Envy for mentioning the real problem being faced in this current day.I have been with MyBB Since 5 years and MySkins since 4 years. During the span of these years i have faced lot of troubles, to create premium content and selling them online.
As said always the theme rippers are a big nuisance to the community and hence i lost interest in making themes and release them. But i cannot give up completely, for a reason that MyBB should stand on par with other forum software, as this is best in terms of usage. Yes all my themes have been leaked online on many sites, and some sites even leaked the retail versions of a recent theme which i have coded. That resulted in a very less copy sale, hardly less than 20 which is a sheer loss for me, the hardwork which i have kept on the theme.

The problem is MyBB is being used by kids, who really wanted everything for free and if they cant afford it, they just steal it. They dont really understand the problem faced by the designer or coder of plugin, who spend their quality time in bringing forth some new feature that really boosts or uplifts the usage of a forum software, in this example MyBB.
Some others pay for the theme, they download, yet they claim for a refund by posting a case in payment gateways. These have been posing a lot of problem which really makes a coder/designer suffer much and stay away from showcasing their sheer talent.

Pirata has been a wonderful gift, as well others like Shade, Euan T, Mike Creuzer, Jason L, Dynaxel who has really uplifted the community 2 years ago from now. I have been lucky enough to be the part of the then days, where coding was real and the former were given utmost respect for their work. But now in this current situation, the community seems really dead of of now, for premium content especially, due to reasons cited above.

It is really a high time, that MyBB if it dont want to bounce back from its already downtrodden state, there will be no further premium content generation from the authors. Strict rules should be implemented, and there should be a own marketplace for MyBB authors to sell the premium content from MyBB site itself. There should be loosening of regulations as MyBB wanted to be free always. Yes you can provide the software for free, but you should also consider the premium content and give authors some relief with an official premium content marketplace which will boost the designers to throw the light on generating new themes or plugins.

Its sad to see such an elegant software dying coz some bunch of idiots who steal the hardwork of the people who strive to uplift the community. MyBB should help us provide more scope to bringback the lost glory or else we would be in ruins.

I have more stories to tell but that gives the reader boredom and hence i would cut it short.

Thanks for reading,
regards
well
myself as a newbie at theming i consider that all the above are 100% right
motivation is 0 cause theme ripping and developers see theyre work spread around the web
even free themes available here , the users remove the copyrights...
there is no respect for the professional work of several developers , like audentio, myskins, themefreak, etc etc etc
the time that its put in developing etc etc

i believe that envira is right about the marketplace for mybb developers to sell theyre work, you can see it in IPB, Xenforo and i think that WoltLab also have it...

anyway its just a thought but this community its getting a bit diferent from the last couple of years when every week there was a new plugin,theme, tutorials etc etc etc
and now it takes months to apear something new Sad

anyway ill always love MYBB
free never taste so good Wink

Cheers
SubzR
While I agree with what was said above I believe MyBB had said that they will not provide an official marketplace because of it being a free software and the licenses it operates under. The softwares you stated above are premium softwares and automatically generate a premium audience as the entry ticket is a $150 license key. Although theme piracy sucks, it will not go away by support of Mybb or by starting to develop for other softwares. Piracy is available for all types of online paid content, it is available everywhere. Like I said before I feel it is only much more present in the Mybb community because there is very few of us developing premium content and so little of it.

An attempt to decrease piracy could only be made between us developers. The simplest way to do it would be to somehow give each download a license key or to record the domain it would be in use at. If it was in use or available under the same information then that user would be blacklisted from future purchase and information shared between those of us who are developing. But sadly, the effect would be dismal.

I've always said to people who would come to my shop looking to improve security on their vehicles that if someone wants to break in to your vehicle they will break into your vehicle no matter the systems present or available.
(2015-12-10, 10:37 PM)eNvy Wrote: [ -> ]Well I'm not creating premium themes but the few custom ones I made, charge 30 usd for them. Also, at least the few premium themes I saw people use are around 25-30 usd in price.

Cheers.

(2015-12-13, 02:41 PM)envira Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
Yes i would like to share the opinion in this regard.
Thanks Mr.Envy  for mentioning the real problem being faced in this current day.I have been with MyBB Since 5 years and MySkins since 4 years. During the span of these years i have faced lot of troubles, to create premium content and selling them online.
As said always the theme rippers are a big nuisance to the community and hence i lost interest in making themes and release them. But i cannot give up completely, for a reason that MyBB should stand on par with other forum software, as this is best in terms of usage. Yes all my themes have been leaked online on many sites, and some sites even leaked the retail versions of a recent theme which i have coded. That resulted in a very less copy sale, hardly less than 20  which is a sheer loss for me, the hardwork which i have kept on the theme.

The problem is MyBB is being used by kids, who really wanted everything for free and if they cant afford it, they just steal it. They dont really understand the problem faced by the designer or coder of plugin, who spend their quality time in bringing forth some new feature that really boosts or uplifts the usage of a forum software, in this example MyBB.
Some others pay for the theme, they download, yet they claim for a refund by posting a case in payment gateways. These have been posing a  lot of problem which really makes a coder/designer suffer much and stay away from showcasing their sheer talent.

Pirata has been a wonderful gift, as well others like Shade, Euan T, Mike Creuzer, Jason L, Dynaxel who has really uplifted the community 2 years ago from now. I have been lucky enough to be the part of the then days, where coding was real and the former were given utmost respect for their work. But now in this current situation, the community seems really dead of of now, for premium content especially, due to reasons cited above.

It is really a high time, that MyBB if it dont want to bounce back from its already downtrodden state, there will be no further premium content generation from the authors. Strict rules should be implemented, and there should be a own marketplace for MyBB authors to sell the premium content from MyBB site itself. There should be loosening of regulations as MyBB wanted to be free always. Yes you can provide the software for free, but you should also consider the premium content and give authors some relief with an official premium content marketplace which will boost the designers to throw the light on generating new themes or plugins.

Its sad to see such an elegant software dying coz some bunch of idiots who steal the hardwork of the people who strive to uplift the community. MyBB should help us provide more scope to bringback the lost glory or else we would be in ruins.

I have more stories to tell but that gives the reader boredom and hence i would cut it short.

Thanks for reading,
regards

(2015-12-13, 07:09 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]While I agree with what was said above I believe MyBB had said that they will not provide an official marketplace because of it being a free software and the licenses it operates under. The softwares you stated above are premium softwares and automatically generate a premium audience as the entry ticket is a $150 license key. Although theme piracy sucks, it will not go away by support of Mybb or by starting to develop for other softwares. Piracy is available for all types of online paid content, it is available everywhere. Like I said before I feel it is only much more present in the Mybb community because there is very few of us developing premium content and so little of it.

An attempt to decrease piracy could only be made between us developers. The simplest way to do it would be to somehow give each download a license key or to record the domain it would be in use at. If it was in use or available under the same information then that user would be blacklisted from future purchase and information shared between those of us who are developing. But sadly, the effect would be dismal.

I've always said to people who would come to my shop looking to improve security on their vehicles that if someone wants to break in to your vehicle they will break into your vehicle no matter the systems present or avala les 

Its  amazing your comments and respect your opinion!

I agree with your opinions  
 They are comments that improve the I believe that this serves to give a routing 
pa who love this agree with your opinión or concepts 

I think the template maker serves to unite developers to MyBB.

And i love software mybb1.8 

Debería seguir siempre!