MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum Ads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would be nice to have this option in the ACP settings that way we don't have to edit theme templates just to display ads. Have it to where it has options to disable the ads for certain member groups. Have it to where it shows up in the header, footer and after the 1st post.
This has already been rejected.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-163312.html
Then I think this should be a plugin that is included with the MyBB upgrade or fresh install that users can choose to install or activate from the ACP. I mean no one has developed a plugin to where something like this can be done and it would be nice to have. Also who cares if it gets used by some people or not if they don't want it they can go to the plugin directory and delete it.
(2015-12-12, 04:55 AM)Technologx Wrote: [ -> ]Then I think this should be a plugin that is included with the MyBB upgrade or fresh install that users can choose to install or activate from the ACP. I mean no one has developed a plugin to where something like this can be done and it would be nice to have. Also who cares if it gets used by some people or not if they don't want it they can go to the plugin directory and delete it.

While technically it would be a plugin, developing, supporting, and including it with MyBB isn't much different from including it in the core. There are plenty of plugins for advertisements already, and including ads in MyBB 2.0 should be even easier.
Well I'm wanting ads on my site now so I can make money to actually afford hosting and a domain name but I can't find a single plugin that will allow me to even add ads to my site. That's why I done a plugin request for it.
A Google search for "mybb advertisement plugin" turns up loads of results.
(2015-12-13, 01:12 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]A Google search for "mybb advertisement plugin" turns up loads of results.

Thank you but I still think there should be a included plugin and the developer of the plugin can keep it updated for the MyBB install.

(2015-12-13, 01:12 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]A Google search for "mybb advertisement plugin" turns up loads of results.

This plugin is incompatible with MyBB 1.8.6
(2015-12-13, 01:17 AM)Technologx Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you but I still think there should be a included plugin and the developer of the plugin can keep it updated for the MyBB install.

This plugin is incompatible with MyBB 1.8.6

I'm using an advertisement plugin that works just fine with mybb 1.8.6...
Paid advertisements are something that, in reality, very few will actually need to use. Most people who run forums never get to the point where they need to run ads to sustain their site. (Most make do with shared hosting or, in rarer cases, virtual private servers.) Those that do need to put up ads often have accumulated the knowledge to do so by then themselves or have someone they can trust to handle it. (I mean it takes considerable time and effort to grow a site to that point that you'd really need ads.)

From my own experience around promotion/web master sites... there are far too may people who are looking solely for a quick buck. Building in tools to put ads on their sites will only make this situation worse because it'll allow more people to do this easily. And they won't learn why their sites are failing (too many ads, not enough meaningful content). All that will happen is they'll just abuse the tools presented, make a few bucks if they can and then dump their forum to start another one. (And repeating the cycle again and again.) This runs the risk of turning people off forums (or MyBB based forums specifically) because they're tired of abuse of ads.

Paid software doesn't run the same risk because the initial cost for it is so much higher that people won't be as inclined to try turning a quick buck off it. (They're not going to want to spend $140 or more, plus hosting costs, before they can earn money.)
There are multiple advertising platforms, each with their own API. How does the MyBB team decide which platforms are included in core? It's better to focus this functionality in a plugin.