MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: is mybb better than phpbb3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to upgrade from phpbb3 if this is a better forum?

1. I see you can add single pages with text easy? And you have ranks based upon donations? So how does this board know that you donated?
  2. Also will I be able to retain same urls as I have in phpbb3? My urls look like this xxx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6439
  3. I dont want google to have to reindex the site again, I have a huge forum with like 100000 articles
  4. if the urls change, will mybb make 301 redirects?
  5. and templates are responsive right?
  6. Also do you get notification on your email when  a new use registers?
  7. Also do you get email  when user posts a new topic?
  8. how efective is mybb against spammers and hackers?
1a. text pages can be added easily.
1b. ranks based on donations should be configured using a plugin (may be a paid plugin)

2. conversion of phpBB to MyBB doesn't retain earlier URLs.
however you can request search engines (esp. Google) to remove earlier URLs (& crawl your forum for new URLs)

3. search engines are very powerful - need not worry about re-indexing !

4. MyBB doesn't make redirects by itself. you have to configure redirects as required

5. MyBB default (stock) theme is not responsive. however paid responsive themes are available

6, 7, 8. depends on your configuration - plugins are available
guys how is it possible that the theme is not responsive, these days everything is mobile friendly, this is a must, any plans to do that in the future?
^ well, MyBB version 2.0 is expected to be responsive
(2015-12-29, 05:12 AM)fenderko Wrote: [ -> ]guys how is it possible that the theme is not responsive, these days everything is mobile friendly, this is a must, any plans to do that in the future?

Simple: The MyBB 1.x series is over 10 years old. There hasn't been a "major" release since 2005. MyBB 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6. and 1.8 have all been "minor" releases. Making the default MyBB theme responsive would require a lot of work, especially because MyBB currently uses tables, and it would break compatibility with older plugins.
that is concerning, so how is it possible that there are responsive themes floating aroudn that are premium?
You cant make tables responsive right?
(2015-12-29, 01:11 PM)fenderko Wrote: [ -> ]that is concerning, so how is it possible that there are responsive themes floating aroudn that are premium?
You cant make tables responsive right?

People put a lot of hard work into making responsive MyBB themes. It's possible to make tables responsive, but I believe theme designers choose to remove the tables from their themes instead.
(2015-12-29, 01:11 PM)fenderko Wrote: [ -> ]You cant make tables responsive right?

You can. E.g. Bootstrap help with making tables responsible. Nonetheless, tables can be removed from all templates after some work. Most HTML code is in templates and most of the remaining hardcoded HTML is awaiting to be moved to templates in a PR.