MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Growing a forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of trying to market The SEO Forums.
It's growing, but not as quickly as I would like it too.

I have experience with SEO, however the phrase 'seo forum' will need some work, so at the moment I am not really focusing on SEO. I will just let that happen naturally.

All my threads/posts have been setup to automatically generate a suitable permalink and title, along with links to other related topics attached to the thread and buttons to share on social. Once a user creates a thread, it is already optimised and submitted to Google. So that's fine.

I just need members, I need posts, the styling of the forum is great. I have worked a lot on the styling and look.

Does anyone have any strategies to grow a forum? I am not really looking into investing money at this point in time unless it is very cheap. I have allowed 'dofollow' links in the signatures on my forum, so users posting will get links back to their site which will benefit search rankings.

Does anyone have any useful tips?

You can join other forums that offer promotion opportunities. These forums usually also offer forum post exchange so you can give your forum a boost in activity to get it started. I rather not name the forums here. If you'd like to know them just shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to share with you.

Btw, beautiful theme and great domain name!
(2016-01-06, 12:26 AM)Alycium Wrote: [ -> ]You can join other forums that offer promotion opportunities.

I'm sorry, are you actually hearing yourself? Join a promotion forum! Of course, that's a sure-fire way to get traffic for a board that isn't a promotion forum - or a gaming forum. You must be joking, surely.
(2016-01-06, 03:44 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-06, 12:26 AM)Alycium Wrote: [ -> ]You can join other forums that offer promotion opportunities.

I'm sorry, are you actually hearing yourself? Join a promotion forum! Of course, that's a sure-fire way to get traffic for a board that isn't a promotion forum - or a gaming forum. You must be joking, surely.

The original poster is not worried about SEO at the moment and doesn't have much money to spend. The only things I could suggest would be promotion forum or aim towards building social media pages up and advertise that way.

What would you suggest?
So I run a promotion forum. If there is one thing I've learnt from my userbase and the market I'm targeting, they do not like engaging.

> Promotes their content
> Leaves

If you wish to follow Alycium's suggestion, you can try putting your site in the website directory http://sharree.com , I can't make any promises though.
(2016-01-06, 10:02 AM)Alycium Wrote: [ -> ]

The original poster is not worried about SEO at the moment and doesn't have much money to spend.  The only things I could suggest would be promotion forum or aim towards building social media pages up and advertise that way.  

What would you suggest?

That you don't make suggestions that don't work. Promotion forums do not work. It is as simple as that.
Let me get this straight: a site about SEO needs help with SEO? The whole point to SEO is so that people can find your forum. If you have content you can compel people to join. Content is king!
(2016-01-06, 11:24 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Let me get this straight: a site about SEO needs help with SEO? The whole point to SEO is so that people can find your forum. If you have content you can compel people to join. Content is king!

Not the worst thing I've seen. I remember there being a post on Hackforums by a guy who wanted to begin a Webmaster forum but didn't know how to get started.
(2016-01-05, 11:58 AM)brettuk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any strategies to grow a forum? I am not really looking into investing money at this point in time unless it is very cheap. I have allowed 'dofollow' links in the signatures on my forum, so users posting will get links back to their site which will benefit search rankings.

Does anyone have any useful tips?

Thanks 

Hi, I would say that since you aren't really looking to invest any money in the promotion of the forum then your best best would probably be using the social media sites to do some promoting. I own several websites (just 1 forum) and started doing some marketing for them and their content on them several months ago and it has really worked out well. 

I especially recommend Twitter. Just try not to be spamming your site in every Tweet, mix in some good SEO related articles, tips, etc. (since that's the forum's niche). You start sending out every Tweet about going to your site to join and that will get you ignored or blocked quickly.

Good luck with your forum! Smile
(2016-01-06, 11:20 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-06, 10:02 AM)Alycium Wrote: [ -> ]

The original poster is not worried about SEO at the moment and doesn't have much money to spend.  The only things I could suggest would be promotion forum or aim towards building social media pages up and advertise that way.  

What would you suggest?

That you don't make suggestions that don't work. Promotion forums do not work. It is as simple as that.

Instead of calling people out on bad suggestions, why not make a viable suggestion yourself? It's funny that people can call out bad suggestions and then not bring anything to the table themselves.

Really? Suggestion bashing without giving an alternative suggestion? You must be joking.

OT: OP you could always send a message out to your friends on Facebook, Skype, or any other social media.