MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hide Bots From "Who's Online" List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think I've read somewhere before that this is possible but I remember that it had a lot of coding and special things to go with it but for the life of me I can't find that thread any longer.

Is is possible to hide bots from the who's online list? Right now I've just been banning every bot IP address that pops up but I'm sure there are MANY out there and would likely never be a could solution to the problem.

Any help is appreciated.
If you delete the existing Spiders / Bots within the ACP, the bots will show as "Guest" in Who's Online.
Ah but then that'll get me all excited thinking there are actually people seeking out my forum when in reality its a bot.

If there are no other ways suggested to get rid of them I will end up doing that, thank you! Smile
(2016-01-23, 10:12 PM)Nicole-Studios Wrote: [ -> ]Ah but then that'll get me all excited thinking there are actually people seeking out my forum when in reality its a bot.

If there are no other ways suggested to get rid of them I will end up doing that, thank you! Smile

You can always rename it then.
you can try to comment out the lines, L115 and L116 from index.php to remove them from index page..

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/featur...x.php#L114

however that will not remove them from the whos online page.. for that you need to edit online.php and comment the elseif part of the bots..

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/featur...e.php#L235
Quote:Ah but then that'll get me all excited thinking there are actually people seeking out my forum when in reality its a bot.

The naming of spiders/bots is just a way of identifying them. Even if you hide known bots (Google/Facebook/etc), there are still millions of bots which can crawl your forum and will show up as guests. I'd recommend using Google Analytics to get a somewhat accurate look at your forum traffic.