MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mobile Theme for Mobile Users Only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2016-01-28, 04:50 AM)Tech_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-25, 06:40 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]You could adapt your current theme to be responsive using CSS. Applying different styles based on device width is done through @media queries, and is how all responsive sites work. These days, I don't really see why you would have separate themes for separate device sizes, when media queries can do all that you desire. In regards to bootstrap, it should be as simple as dropping in the CSS for it, and adapting your current theme to use bootstrap containers, rows and columns.

This is what I am trying to do. Adapt the default, with my edits, to be responsive.
Not install a whole new theme. They are all pretty bad.

I tried bootstrat-bb or at least what I could find, and it seemed to be a mess and incompatible as well. I could be doing it wrong but I took this, put in upload, activated theme and then it was a whole new ugly thing.

I like the normal theme with my edits. But is it possible to get that responsive? Without abandoning it for something totally different like GoMobile, Responsive whatever, bootstrap-bb.

MyBB is a great platform if you are willing to put in the work it needs to be successful. MyBB supplies you with an excellent easy to modify platform. If you wish to take it further you can. But it is no secret that other paid softwares are much more capable out of the box. Making your theme responsive isn't as easy as enabling an option. It will require lots of template and style sheet modifications to do it right .
Hi,

My understanding is you want a mobile-friendly solution.  To get it, you want either (1) update your current theme, or (2) install a new responsive theme, so it works both for desktop and mobile.

If so, my suggestion is you change your strategy: you can add a mobile only theme, and install a mobile detection and redirection script.  For desktop end users, they get the default theme (your current one); for mobile users, they get the new mobile-friendly theme.  The point is the development cost of a new responsive theme for both desktop and mobile is too high, much higher than the solution I mention here.

Try my solution: http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=637 , which includes a mobile only theme and the detection/redirection script, based on a new empty MyBB.  If you are happy, you can use my code as the beginning and update it for your usage.

Good luck.  Any question, just let me know.

Rickey
Pages: 1 2