MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mobile Theme for Mobile Users Only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have read so much and think the answer is no, but is there a way to get a responsive theme for only mobile users.
I have already taken the default theme and edited it to look like my site, how I want it but it is horrendously unusable for anyone on a phone(most people).

Since it is the year 2016 my options seem to be to abandon mybb and use those other guys but I figured I would give it one shot and ask here.
However, straight up, after reading countless threads on this forums I see very rude mods and no help anywhere.
So please, only answer if you can help. Not to be a power trippen snarkster.

Is mybb a viable option for an actual forum or is it a joke ran by unhelpful people?

I tried GoMobile, so ugly and it seems it's all or nothing. I want my theme as the main and a responsive as the mobile users theme. Without them having to go to like UCP and pick something. I want it to see a phone, show a forum for a phone. That includes new user registration.

I do know html and CSS and if there is a way to edit the main theme I will but I am afraid based on all I read all my edits will be trashed if this platform ever gets an update.
wait what? rude mods? ...

not sure if you tried yet, but check Naija Words Mobile Theme or Mobile MyBB 1.8. if you don't like neither of them, you should try buying some premium mobile theme or ordering one (or you can also try to create one by yourself)
So the only way to get responsive is literally install a new theme and force on users?
I have made mybb look how I want it and don't think installing a theme over it and forcing it on users is an option.

If I made a hundred edits to the existing sub theme I made, would an update destroy it?

I see mybb 2.0 is meant to be responsive but anytime anyone ask about it they get answers like "it's free, shut up".

Since I just installed mybb I don't think I would pay for a theme. I may still hop the other ship since it is already responsive. Just started searching for converters actually. May be the easier route.

Also so many threads link here.
Is this site supposed to function?
I only get server errors.

http://mods.mybb.com/themes
mods.mybb.com is offline, you should look here for themes and plugin: http://community.mybb.com/mods.php
Edit: delayed response

above referred site belongs to old versions of MyBB.
MyBB 1.8.x compatible themes available through Extend section
(2016-01-25, 09:36 AM)Tech_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]So the only way to get responsive is literally install a new theme and force on users?
I have made mybb look how I want it and don't think installing a theme over it and forcing it on users is an option.

If I made a hundred edits to the existing sub theme I made, would an update destroy it?

I see mybb 2.0 is meant to be responsive but anytime anyone ask about it they get answers like "it's free, shut up".

Since I just installed mybb I don't think I would pay for a theme. I may still hop the other ship since it is already responsive. Just started searching for converters actually. May be the easier route.

Also so many threads link here.
Is this site supposed to function?
I only get server errors.

http://mods.mybb.com/themes

Apologies that you're not happy with MyBB at the moment. If you do not wish to force mobile users on a new theme, you can always use bootstrap to adapt your existing theme. You could also duplicate your existing theme and make that into a mobile theme, that way you won't have to force users onto a completely new theme.

Www.mods.mybb.com is the old site for mods, which was disregarded after the MyBB 1.6* line finished. You can find the new site here.
Is there a tutorial out there about Bootstrap or adapting existing work into mobile?
I can't seem to find anything.
Just about all searches lead to dead end threads here.

I really like everything about the actual platform except the lack of mobile.
Basically no one is sitting on a computer using FB and to take a target audience from FB to a forum will require my branded look with an automatically mobile theme for mobile users and a normal theme for normal users.

So I guess in other words, _not_ a "mobile theme" but to make the normal theme responsive for phones.

Also everything I find on the new site lacks comments, reviews, questions, etc. They basically all scream do not install this. None of them have been updated any time recently and the few I tried were not even compatible with the new version.

I really just want to use the default, make my edits, have them stick thorough updates and respond to a phone. But maybe that is asking too much.

If this forum takes off, I will be buying a premium platform. This is just the seeding but it must be mobile responsive to even begin.
You could adapt your current theme to be responsive using CSS. Applying different styles based on device width is done through @media queries, and is how all responsive sites work. These days, I don't really see why you would have separate themes for separate device sizes, when media queries can do all that you desire. In regards to bootstrap, it should be as simple as dropping in the CSS for it, and adapting your current theme to use bootstrap containers, rows and columns.
Here is the gomobile that may help you out http://community.mybb.com/thread-166664.html.
(2016-01-25, 06:40 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]You could adapt your current theme to be responsive using CSS. Applying different styles based on device width is done through @media queries, and is how all responsive sites work. These days, I don't really see why you would have separate themes for separate device sizes, when media queries can do all that you desire. In regards to bootstrap, it should be as simple as dropping in the CSS for it, and adapting your current theme to use bootstrap containers, rows and columns.

This is what I am trying to do. Adapt the default, with my edits, to be responsive.
Not install a whole new theme. They are all pretty bad.

I tried bootstrat-bb or at least what I could find, and it seemed to be a mess and incompatible as well. I could be doing it wrong but I took this, put in upload, activated theme and then it was a whole new ugly thing.

I like the normal theme with my edits. But is it possible to get that responsive? Without abandoning it for something totally different like GoMobile, Responsive whatever, bootstrap-bb.
Pages: 1 2