MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A few features I would like to see in 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to see a few new features in mybb 2.0.
Some of these ideas may have already been said but it would be nice have a auto built in shoutbox with a pm and moderation system with 2 types of display.

1. The Box Display we are all familiar with
[Image: fYnA0sW.png]

2. The New Display - Like Cometchat
[Image: og.png]

Something along these lines would be wonderful to see in 2.0 even if mybb created their own system that worked like cometchat, multiple chatrooms, usergroup group messaging (mod, admin, & custom usergroup permissions), buddylist system merged with the forums profile friends, set status, (Online. Away. Offline) auto-display image links, smilies font colors with the ability to add custom color codes from admin cp, a built in image uploader to the shoutbox which could probably upload to a folder inside the /images folder with a admin feature in the tools & maintenance to setup either manual or auto clear schedule to delete all images within the folder.

2. Custom Pages
Custom pages is a great plugin for mybb and should be a default built in feature. With custom pages it would be nice to see a nice ui display to add custom code wherever and even have the functionality to pull forum blocks from index if someone wanted to automatically add in whosonline, boardstats, latest threads, shoutbox, & etc.

3. Theme Changer UI
As we all are always enjoy coding our themes there should be a implemented feature for those who are not tech savy. Forum platforms out there are evolving adding a ui & the old fashion coding way together as a method to easily change the forums theme. Mybb should evolve and implement this as well.

Here is a example of how it should look. I made this in photoshop also using for the acp cerise theme. I would love to see something as a theme changer like this.

[Image: DnEdA20.jpg]

if something like this were to come out with a radio option of adding a sidebar on or off, & a width adjuster which has a radio option to display the width amount in either px, or precentage % I would love mybb forever. Notice in my photo in the top left there is a option that would be nice for people who still wanted to code out their layouts and not use the theme changer. CSS & Templates would be condensed onto one page with a dropdown option of the current theme to either show display of css, or the templates on that page.

4. Template Editing Adjustments
1. Revert Last Save
It would be nice when editing templates if you saved a change & you might have accidentally messed something up or didn't like the change you made, you could revert back to your previous state before the change. A button option next to save changes called "Revert Last Change" undoing the last change you made and saving the template the way it was before.

2. Template/CSS Search
Lets say I wanted to find a specific code and I didn't know which template or css had it. A search function showing the results of every css & template that had your keywords in it. When clicking on the link it opens up that css or template and brings you to that exact line.

5. Global Announcement Manager & Latest Threads
It would be nice to see a index global manager that would manage which announcements are shown, what date & time, Which usergroups can see this announcements & change the color of the bar. This announcement bar should also have latest threads implemented into it which would show threads from a specific forum or multiple forums and show this next to the announcements with a active link to the thread. When showing multiple threads the title would fade and the next thread would fade into the bar. Also the title of Latest Threads should be changeable text for any purpose.

Here is a example of what this new announcement bar should be like.
[Image: BBBmunH.jpg]

See how the latest threads title was changed to offers?
Your offer here being the thread title and you would click on that to open the thread.

6. Mobile View
MyBB needs a mobile view for tablets, & phones, not much else to say except it needs to happen.

Please MyBB consider these suggestions I will add to this post as I think of more options.
1. Will never happen, as stated many times before.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-99061-p...#pid916341

2. MyBB 2.0 has "Conversations", though it's unlikely to be as complex as Cometchat.

3. I can see something like this being implemented but with Sass variables.

6. MyBB 2.0 will be responsive by default.
I'm all for the custom pages being there by default and I would love to see a Theme Changer UI.
Okay I see they won't with the shoutbox but newest thread updates is not a social call its a forum call. Display it however whether its a ajax box or a pop up indicator it should be implemented because forums mean business.

(2016-01-27, 04:03 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]1. Will never happen, as stated many times before.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-99061-p...#pid916341

2. MyBB 2.0 has "Conversations", though it's unlikely to be as complex as Cometchat.

3. I can see something like this being implemented but with Sass variables.

6. MyBB 2.0 will be responsive by default.
2, if I remember correctly, is confirmed.

3. Seeing as we're currently struggling to produce even MVP at the moment, this might have to be a plugin, but it certainly sounds possible with Sass variables, as Nathan mentioned.

4. As for the templates, we'll be using Twig view files, so you can totally version control them in a powerful way with something like Git. As for search, use any IDE you choose and search/replace away! As for CSS, I *think* they'll be files as well.

5. We promise announcement management will be a lot cleaner than the mess it is in 1.x. It sucks right now, and we're aware! Wink
1. We will never add chat to MyBB. Chat drives people away from the main forum content. This isn't so say that other developers won't or can't write plugins however.
2. Custom pages is an ongoing discussion. I'd like to see them implemented: https://github.com/mybb/mybb2/issues/9
3. This is possible, but will likely not be in 2.0.0. Future versions (2.1.0 for example) may add extra polish such as this.
4. As Josh said, Twig opens a lot more possibilities as templates are just files rather than being hidden in the database. Stylesheets will also be files, but are written using SASS.
5. Announcements will be much more like threads which will allow much more control and options.
6. MyBB 2.0 is fully responsive so works across mobile devices and tablets with ease.

Also, in the future, please keep to 1 suggestion per thread. This makes life much easier for us to accept/reject individual suggestions rather than having to remember which thread contained which one of five suggestions we want to reject/accept.
Alright I can't wait to see it coming in the future im looking forward to seeing 2.0.
Euan how come 3 will not be implemented in 2.0 most forum boards these days are already something similar to this concept but honestly as a person whose tried them all I think theirs are all messed up to be saying these not simple names for each part of the forum not everyone is going to know by the term names with adjusting. It should be polished with a simple changer like that it can save alot of people some time for simple changes even though using a template of someones custom theme that was put on the forum.

My picture was only a concept the listing can be adjusted however to make them look but when making this how they are named simple and straight to the point of which part it changes it can be efficient, Make mybb 2.0 better with it!
It'll probably not be in the initial 2.0 release as it's a fairly big thing to implement (and will as such take a while to do). It may well arrive in a later release (2.1.0 for example) once we've had time to get the basic features stable and working. The default theme interface should be significantly easier to use anyway (hopefully).