MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What a way to make an entrance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly thanks in advance for reading and I appologise for pics to those of you browsing via 56k.

Well for reasons best known only to myself I have been experimenting with trying to host a web site from a home based pc. As part of that particular project I am also trying to run the mybb forum software from the same machine running Windows Xp Pro (all service packs) using IIS.

I have installed mysql 4.1.10a-nt (as far as I can see that is functioning normaly)

PHP Version: 4.3.10

Configuration File Writable: Yes

Settings File Writable: Yes

I have proceded to create a db called mybb using MySql administrator client version 5 (no obvious problems there) and then move on to the install process for mybb

to do this I enter the following url into my browser (I use firefox mainly but also have tried this with Internet Explorer)

http://localhost/131st/Forum1/install/index.php

(the web page is located at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\131st)

this is where My problem starts

firstly the initial page looks like this :-

[Image: error_mbb.jpg]

This gave me cause for concern but I proceded onward

the next couple of pages displayed no further error and I met all requirements

however upon population of db I get this :-

[Image: error2_mbb.jpg]

if I continue to the next stage I then get this :-

[Image: error3_mbb.jpg]

Now I am not totaly convinced that this problem is being caused by the mybb install process as it doesnt seem to complain directly until about the third error but as I am a bit of an amature to all this I am unsure of where to begin investigation of this problem.

I suspect it may be write permisions or the configuration of mysql that is the problem but most of these error messages leave me some what clueless.

So if any one has seen this particular mess before and could point me in the direction of a fix I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Iain

(somewhat thinner of hair and wishing I hadn't picked this year to stop smoking cigarettes)

Hmm, from the second screenshot, it looks as if ./inc/config.php is not 666 or 777 for opening, writing to, and closing. If this were fixed, the third one would be too, cause db_.php should become db_mysql.php once config has been written to.

So conclusion, are you sure config.php is properly written to?
If he is using IIS he cannot set the file to be 666 or 777 Toungue I do think it is permission related, though. I would make sure the user running IIS is the user you gave write access to. If you can, I would dump IIS and install Apache. It works with Windows (that is what I run) and it is one of the best, if not the best, web server for PHP.
Cheers guys Wink
Yes K776 I was begining to suspect that it was a write permission thing but I needed it confirmed by some one who was more familiar with the enviroment Big Grin

Matt, Yeah I was a bit stumped on the chmod procedure as far as IIS goes. I am aware of apache and plan to migrate over asap but just like your dog. When I get my teeth into a thang I dont like to let go lol. I will thrash around and see if I can resolve the permission error if all else fails I will install Apache (a collegue is already doing this but I thought I would see if it was doable with iis anyhow)

Thanks again!

Iain

Ok some time later !!

Right well just too keep this updated I have installed the exact same site using Apache on the same machine with the same configuration and again I am getting the same error as is shown in the First screen shot Sad

I am somewhat confused about the permission thing now as the account I am using has full Administrative powers on the machine and is the account that I installed Apache and the web page with? Am I being incredibly thick here? I feel there is something glaringly obvious I am missing.

When I get to the second page of the install I get this

Before you can install MyBB, we must check that you meet the minimum requirements for installation.

PHP Version: 4.3.10

Configuration File Writable: Yes

Settings File Writable: Yes

Everything seems to be in normal order, click Next to continue.

Just to compound my dumbness How would I verify that the write permissions are available to the necessary user?

(gawd!! I actually cringed when I typed that ohh well)

If it helps any I right clicked on the web folder and checked that write protection had been disabled for the folder and it shows a semi greyed out tick which despite my efforts I cannot seem to make dissapear. I shall continue to search the web and elsewhere but any assistance would be great.

again thanks for reading and your patience Wink

Iain

Ok well this time I threw caution to the wind and ignored the first error (line 75) and clicked on through.

Although it did spew out a whole bunch of error codes at certain points . the page where it populates the data base was clean and lo and behold the forum seems to have been constructed successfully !

When I get time if you like I can post screen dumps of the messages that appeard during the install process this time around.

either way thanks for the hand hold

Iain Wink