MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Possible to automatically upload backups to cloud?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like all good server owners, I keep regular backups. But I have always wondered if there was an automatic way rather than downloading the freshly made backup every time a new one is made.

Is it possible to automatically backup and upload to an external cloud like dropbox or mega// or even an external server via ftp?
Yah tonnes of ways. What kind of host/panel/OS do you use?

When i ran more than one server I had a backup server that just ran rsync. Personally I'd probably go to a place like Interserver and get their cheapest package ( Intel Dual-Core Atom/1GBram/250GBhdd/ $59.00/m) and just run it on that.
(2016-02-05, 12:53 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Yah tonnes of ways. What kind of host/panel/OS do you use?

When i ran more than one server I had a backup server that just ran rsync. Personally I'd probably go to a place like Interserver and get their cheapest package ( Intel Dual-Core Atom/1GBram/250GBhdd/ $59.00/m) and just run it on that.

Im using Dedicated/VestaCP/Centos6

Whoa $59 is not cheap for those specs
(2016-02-05, 12:30 PM)Aiko Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-05, 12:53 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Yah tonnes of ways. What kind of host/panel/OS do you use?

Im using Dedicated/VestaCP/Centos6

Whoa $59 is not cheap for those specs

59 a month for a dedicated box of your own is a pretty good steal. The stats are low, yes. Hence why it's not something like 250/m (my current box price.) Dedicated boxes generally don't have low stats. Generally because you can't run anything on something with low stats. But these stats are strong enough to run a back-up server pretty easily. Hence why I suggest it, and have used it in the past. They aren't as common on hosts (again because not much you can do with them), but if you search around the price of these should be anywhere between 50-100/m for a dedicated. Where as Xeons start at what these days, 120~ upwards?

You could always do it with a VPS, but I like to think of Backups as an "Oh holy crap everything is going wrong" situations. While it's super easy to VPS it or even some hosts will give you a discount on a second package, you can easily still get screwed over on VPS failing, etc. I like having a dedicated because well, it's your box, nothing else on it. Yours. 

Hell, the best option I've seen recently is that I saw someone buy a NAS and upgrade their home line and just do major backups every night. 

This isn't a virtual or shared machine. I've used that (and similarly priced options elsewhere). IIRC it comes with like 5-10tb of bandwidth on the base package. That's why it is so attractive as a backupserver to me. 

TLD:R but yeah, 59/m isn't bad at all for a backup server.
(2016-02-05, 07:03 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Where as Xeons start at what these days, 120~ upwards?

And two Xeons cost even more. Wink

[Image: BFjayJU.png]
(2016-02-05, 07:03 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]59 a month for a dedicated box of your own is a pretty good steal. The stats are low, yes. Hence why it's not something like 250/m (my current box price.) Dedicated boxes generally don't have low stats. Generally because you can't run anything on something with low stats. But these stats are strong enough to run a back-up server pretty easily. Hence why I suggest it, and have used it in the past. They aren't as common on hosts (again because not much you can do with them), but if you search around the price of these should be anywhere between 50-100/m for a dedicated. Where as Xeons start at what these days, 120~ upwards?

You can. It depends on what you're using it for. I had a complete MyBB forum, and LAMP on a Raspberry Pi at one stage, which I had CoLocated. Please take the remark in bold back.
I use Tarsnap for my server backups, each day it uploads the latest snapshot of the forum files, dumps the database and uploads that.

It's currently costing me about $3 per month for 3 months of backups (on a rotation).