MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problems with forum host - needing to move
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been with Siteground for several years and this is the second time I have had problems with them shutting my site down over excessive "account executions". Basically, Googlebot crawling my site is enough to put me over the limit and shut my site down until I contact them and blueberry.. upon which they recommend that I upgrade my hosting package. I have the Grow Big package and already pay almost 200.00 for a forum that would not be considered huge by any stretch of the imagination. I have turned the Google crawl rate down to zero but that's not enough. I actually have to watch the recent visitors application and ban the IP's of the Googlebots or my site gets shut down. Sooooo I'm leaving these fools...

I was recommended to seek out TMDHosting for their services. I signed up for the premium package which said I would get free domain hosting on unlimited domains. Once I tried to transfer my domains they said I would have to pay. I'm starting to get that feeling of bait and switch and scam city. Anybody have opinions on TMDHosting? Is it normal to have to pay fees for your domain to be hosted ON TOP of the server rental fees? 

Is there a favored host of the MyBB community?

Thanks for your help!
if you already pay 200 for shared hosting, you're doing something wrong.

Buy a dedicated server or even a high end VPS with those funds.
I admin for a site that uses Siteground, you shouldnt be running out of executions, how many users does the site have? I am guessing $200 is for the year. If your site is not massive, you could get an extremely cheap vps ($20 for the year) or something more beefy if it gets more (ramnode is what I use).

The only time I have run out of executions was when I was converting 20+k pictures.

Try validating your files, make sure there is nothing nefarious.
(2016-02-10, 10:36 PM)thexshadow Wrote: [ -> ]I admin for a site that uses Siteground, you shouldnt be running out of executions, how many users does the site have? I am guessing $200 is for the year. If your site is not massive, you could get an extremely cheap vps ($20 for the year) or something more beefy if it gets more (ramnode is what I use).

The only time I have run out of executions was when I was converting 20+k pictures.

Try validating your files, make sure there is nothing nefarious.

Yes, 174.00 a year to be exact. It's just a typical sports forum. There are lots of pictures posted about sports but they are all url's from imgur. Maybe 20 active users 350 members. A decent amount of lurkers. I don't know how to "validate" my files.

My website admin thinks Siteground is just pulling some BS and trying to use some metric that nobody measures to pressure me for an upgrade. He said he has never heard of a host using "account executions" to control a customer's behavior. And it clearly is just normal Googlebot indexing that is causing my "excessive activity". I'm going to TMDHosting because he says they have an impeccable reputation and do not use "account executions" to discriminate between sites they host.