MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam Bot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is currently a spam bot posting mass threads on my website, every hour or so it makes a new account and starts spamming threads. I have tried banning all the IPs but they keep changing. I have banned 208.194.12.*, then the bots ip changes to like 293.192.102.1 then I ban all those IP and then it changes again. Is their any plugin out their or something I can use to prevent the forum spamming?

I found on one of the account I can click purge spammer, but all of the other account don't have that option on their profile.

My website: http://www.vipergaming.org/
I'd suggest to remove maths security question for the registration. and see spam prevention suggestions here
(2016-02-15, 05:25 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]I'd suggest to remove maths security question for the registration. and see spam prevention suggestions here

Ok thanks.
you might also want to consider putting the site behind cloudflare or incapsula to help deal with some of the spam bots.
(2016-02-19, 01:50 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]you might also want to consider putting the site behind cloudflare or incapsula to help deal with some of the spam bots.

Cloudflare has been great at dealing with some spam bots I was receiving.

Definitely recommend it.
Yes, CloudFlare is used here and as far as I am aware it cut down the number if spammers significantly.

What sort of CAPTCHA are you using? I'd se Google's reCAPTCHA or the No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA over the MyBB default one. Add security questions that are hard for a bit to understand (not maths and not what is the name of this website), go for something a human can find out or knows (perhaps a fact known in your industry).

You can use Group Promotions to move users from a group that requires moderation to another group after they have a certain number if posts (e.g. 10). That way you make sure the spam isn't visible to non mods and admins even if the spammer gets through your other defences.