MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Symfony ..anyone play with it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.symfony-project.com/

I just ran into this from Sitepoint. Amazingly interesting project. Anyone here mess with it?
Damn that looks good. It's just the good extensions from PEAR rapped up into one super easy package. I'll have to use it for the next site I design
No.. But well, every PHP developer knows of these different PHP frameworks coming up soon after Ruby on Rails, because someone thought, "frameworks" are in-trend nowadays.

I have played with cake, but I don't like any of the frameworks, the feeling of suffocation comes with them and they often take longer when you have to do something not supported by default. Well, that's another reason I don't like ASP .NET (.NET framework). There're more reasons, such as no such huge projects (they only really benefit if you have big websites, or you don't have your own classes collection for doing the more repetitive tasks), etc.. but basically it's my personal preference not to use them.

I do have my own collection of classes that I add/remove into my website projects as required, and that can be called as a framework too.

A quick google search will yield many results with cons and pros of these [bloated] frameworks. Not undermining their efforts to create it, but I don't like the idea of frameworks at all. FYI, Zend also has it's own framework in production (at least it was beta last time I checked).

Btw, read Who the symfony framework is for. In short, more useful for developing business or mission critical websites that will be, nothing but huge in terms of code if nothing else.
Looked at it but in all honesty it's pretty slow.

I don't use it because I have developed my own framework which I'm using (which I find easier and much better than symfony and the like) but if I didn't then I'd be using CakePHP (unless I was using Ruby on Rails)