MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Buddy system?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I couldn't find anything when searching suggestions. I think it would be a good idea to be able to disable the buddy function (if not remove it and support it as a plugin instead). I'm not sure how many people use the buddy system, but I have not seen it used on any of the forums I visit.

Thoughts?
Agree, unfortunately the buddy system is not rly useful at the moment.
Also i would like to see a option to simply turn off the 'ignore function".
There is no use for buddy system
Unless
U have set ur PM system as buddies only
In which case there is a use for it
this should be a plugin in order to add social groups as well.

the UCP should have a simple "ban PMs from member"
Honestly, being able to just disable the buddy system in entirety would be nice as I've pretty much removed it from the templates in every MyBB installation I've had. It's just not particularly useful outside of a general ignore function.

As mentioned, the only time I've seen any sort of use for it is if you want to set your account to receive PMs from buddies only, but even in that case I've never actually seen anyone that used that - most people just block other members that they don't want to interact with and that's that.

Buddies/friends are useful on social media because of the privacy settings (only "friends" can see this, etc.) but there is really no place for that on a discussion forum as, pretty much always, you want to see all viable discussion posts so the flow of the conversation isn't interrupted (as would be the case if someone responded to a "hidden" post). So one of the primary purposes of buddies is kind of moot.

It's kind of handy to quickly see which of your friends are on at the current moment, but that can also be accomplished by checking the who's online list, and that's only trusting you actually bothered to add people to the list, so it's still sort of meh.
Buddy thing has always been useless since we have private messages and can make a private section on our forums.
Honestly, I wouldn't implement a buddy feature, sounds very outdated. Perhaps a follower system instead?
Oh good
Big Grin
what does the buddy system do at the moment? Is it just the PM functions?