MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permissions tab doesnt render after 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=35892]
Following upgrade (which went routinely) the feature to edit posts in forums seems to have disappeared.
Trying to look at the ACP Forum Permissions in an attempt to check what these are set up shows very strange images. See screenshot attachment. 

Various other pages have "missing" or "strange" features (like small artifacts or missing drop down menu items).

I have tried Chrome Firefox Opera on linux and Firefox on Windows - all the same.
I am running Apache on Ubuntu 14.04 server .LTS  PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.14 MyBB 1.8.6
Set your board to closed and try to delete myBB and reinstall it.
(2016-03-03, 04:16 AM)rarefk Wrote: [ -> ]Set your board to closed and try to delete myBB and reinstall it.

I agree it looks like some upgrade failure which a re-install might resolve.
What (if anything) do I need to do to preserve the existing content or will it pick up everything from my back end DB?
there should be no need to reinstall MyBB. instead try re-uploading language files
~/inc/languages/english & its subfolder admin
The web server is on premise here and I have done a linux diff between my directories and the release and I have re-downloaded mybb_1806.zip and done an md5sum check to ensure no corruption during that phase.

The directories you quote on my production system are 100% identical with your release other than the fact my deployment has 3 extra files:
akismet.lang.php
admin/forum_akismet.lang.php
admin/home_version_check.lang.php
all dating back to 2011.

I also note doing a wider diff there are quite a lot of extraneous files (again from 2011) where files have subsequently appeared to have changed their directory layout since. I have been running mybb in production since early 2008 but these relate to version 1602 or 1603 from the time-stamps.

Only the inc/settings.php has content differences (as you might expect)

I also checked the permissions and all files are owned and readable by the www-data user apache2 is running as.

On the basis of this re-copying identical files from one part of the machine to the apache back end is not going to make any difference.

Anything else to try before taking more draconian steps?
I would rather like to identify what is wrong in order to ascertain root cause. As a very experienced software developer I dont like "poking and hoping" as you don't get to improve things if there is a weakness somewhere.

[attachment=35895]
I also add here a screenshot of the menus with apparently "Missing features" and the strange characters bottom right.
Using this forum itself as a comparison I don't get the "edit post options" as you do either.

The language here is British English if that makes a difference.
You can take a look into language strings in ACP (Configuration → Languages), where e.g. inherited_permission in admin/forum_management.lang.php appears to be missing.

MyBB comes with American English by default, so it might be that your language pack is corrupt or out of date.
(2016-03-03, 10:30 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]You can take a look into language strings in ACP (Configuration → Languages), where e.g. inherited_permission in admin/forum_management.lang.php appears to be missing.

MyBB comes with American English by default, so it might be that your language pack is corrupt or out of date.

My British English Language pack was at version 1405 and set as the forum and configuration default.
I had not spotted it has gone well out of date to the extent that it doesn't appear on your list any more. Maybe I will take a look and see I can produce an up to date one. Thank you for resolving the issue!