MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 2.0: User Engagement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

This may have already been requested somewhere down the line, but my suggestion (or perhaps it's more of a question), is if there is anything being done to drive user engagement through 'feedback' for posts, likes, time online, time registered, and such characteristics?

There are some platforms, Apps and other non-forum websites such as Duolingo as a crude example, which really engage the user and 'reward' them with level ups, badges, higher community representation/features, and such things. Is there anything in development in 2.0 along these lines? Thoughts would include:
  • 'Profile Completion' type percentage bar on User CP (e.g. Currently 75% Complete, 15% for adding an Avatar, 5% for entering date of birth, and so on)
  • Some verification tool or underlying members map to have a truly unified underlying location database of all your members; which then can be tapped into for various other forum type functions such as trying to organise forum meetings (where you can see the distance the proposed meeting is from other members). Thoughts here is that upon profile completion, there would be some verifcation of the location profile field entry. I see how this could be interpreted as being quite a specific request, but having such data really does allow many forums to build a strong community
  • Postbit and Profile type displays of progress to next level/level you are at which is derived from your post count, time online, etc (any such relevant combination) - here to encourage members to continue posting or engaging given the feedback and rewards they are continually receiving through this sort of approach
Would be interested to hear your thoughts!

An example of what i personally see as good user engagement from HotUkDeals: http://www.hotukdeals.com/profile/berisford

(Random profile selected - but demonstrates some of the rankings/categories capabilities that they have
I can see profile completion being useful, but how would we handle new fields/groups being added/removed? Would there be an extra setting per field of "counts towards completion %" along with a ranking (e.g.: 5%, 10%, etc.)?

Verifying the location would be better as a plugin in my opinion. All fields in 2.0 can be added/edited/removed by admins so not all boards would even use the location field. It could also be seen on many boards as much too private information - we don't have any reason t require location here for instance.

As for the level/rank stuff, that sounds like it would be better off as a plugin too. There used to be a plugin for 1.6 (and in the past vBulletin) that did something similar.
Yes I guess the following could work, just purely drawing an example if there's interest:

User CP
  • Somewhere appropriate on the user's CP text and a completion bar along the lines of: "Your Profile is x% complete" 
  • A list below would then show outstanding elements that would contribute to 100% completion
'Default' Installation - completion of the below contributes to 100% Profile Completion
  • Bio - 20%
  • Location - 20%
  • Sex - 20%
Then along with additional profile fields at could be added:
  • All profile fields would have to sum to 100%
  • When adding an additional profile field, the Admin must also determine what percentage this contributes to profile completion, so if an additional field is say "Age" worth 10%, 10% would have to come off another field
IMO all things you mentioned are better suitable as plugins. Completion personally annoys me wherever I see it (unless I'm forced to do something, then it's nice) and it shouldn't be too hard to code. Usermaps are not useful in most forums and you can always link external maps, there are also plugins for them (e.g. PageManager includes it) since MyBB 1.4.x and hopefully that continues. The levels you suggested could replace the current post count usertitles, but honestly I'd live without that feature in the core as one of forum admins.
who the heck wants to waste their time at the registration page? thats why those FB, twitter plugins are so requested.
Personally I hate seeing this kind of stuff. I hate logging into my paypal and being greeted with "Hi, please add a picture, credit account, link to a bank account, mobile number, firstborn child's soul, ebay link, amazon link, etc..."

So, I'm with Destroy666 on this, I'd rather this be a plugin rather than something core to MyBB.
I totally agree with VirusZero.
(2016-03-14, 07:59 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]IMO all things you mentioned are better suitable as plugins. Completion personally annoys me wherever I see it (unless I'm forced to do something, then it's nice) and it shouldn't be too hard to code. Usermaps are not useful in most forums and you can always link external maps, there are also plugins for them (e.g. PageManager includes it) since MyBB 1.4.x and hopefully that continues. The levels you suggested could replace the current post count usertitles, but honestly I'd live without that feature in the core as one of forum admins.

Totally agrees on this one, why would I have to give more information about me on a forum? Social networks need more information about you because of how they make money (connecting you with people you might know / be interested in, products you might be willing to buy, ads you might click on etc). But a discussion board?? Not that much. How many users are there on MyBB Community? How many did even fill out the Bio section?!