MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB on Ubuntu VPS - Mail & IP's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I installed LAMP on my Ubuntu 15.04 server and so far everything is working fine on my MyBB forum except for two things.

1. Seems like there's a problem with IP addresses
2. Need help with mail setup

My first problem I think there's something wrong between the DB and IP's. In the ACP everyone's registration IP and last sign-in IP are all the same. There are also no IP's listed in /online.php for admins to see. What do I need to do for IP's to be handled correctly?

My second problem is mail. Members will not receive an Activation Email and can't dispatch a password recovery to their email. I'm very new to hosting MyBB on a VPS so I may have missed a couple things but initially MyBB is installed and everything else is OK. 

Do I need to install a couple things on my VPS? Thanks for your support, MyBB!
for the IP address, below setting might help
admin panel >> configuration (settings) >> Server and Optimization Options >>
Scrutinize User's IP address? --> select yes and save settings

for the mail issue, see http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/mail/
(2016-03-17, 04:38 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]for the IP address, below setting might help

So..

I just read through the docs you gave me and can confirm PHP mail function IS working. I just granted myself an award on my forum and I got an email saying I got a private message from MyBB Engine granting my award. So it looks like mail is working fine on that end, but I then just tried to register an account on my site with another email and I'm not getting an activation email. Whatsoever, not even in spam. 

IP addresses are having the same deal. Not sure if someone's got to log in and out for changes to be made or what.
(2016-03-17, 05:00 AM)Islander Tony Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-17, 04:38 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]for the IP address, below setting might help

So..

I just read through the docs you gave me and can confirm PHP mail function IS working. I just granted myself an award on my forum and I got an email saying I got a private message from MyBB Engine granting my award. So it looks like mail is working fine on that end, but I then just tried to register an account on my site with another email and I'm not getting an activation email. Whatsoever, not even in spam. 

IP addresses are having the same deal. Not sure if someone's got to log in and out for changes to be made or what.

Out of interest, which email services are you testing with? Some email hosts (outlook.com is one I'm aware of) are funny about allowing emaiil delivery if the sender isn't quite set up right (eg: missing SPF records, DKIM records, etc. in the DNS).

Regarding IP addresses, are you sitting behind CloudFlare or any other proxying solutions? If it's a direct connection to your server, you shouldn't need the scrutinise IP setting and the IPs should be stored correctly upon login/post.
(2016-03-17, 03:33 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-17, 05:00 AM)Islander Tony Wrote: [ -> ]

So..

Out of interest, which email services are you testing with? Some email hosts (outlook.com is one I'm aware of) are funny about allowing emaiil delivery if the sender isn't quite set up right (eg: missing SPF records, DKIM records, etc. in the DNS).

Regarding IP addresses, are you sitting behind CloudFlare or any other proxying solutions? If it's a direct connection to your server, you shouldn't need the scrutinise IP setting and the IPs should be stored correctly upon login/post.

I'm testing it to my Outlook.com account. 

Regarding IP.. No I'm not sitting behind CloudFlare. Right now I'm on a BlazingFast VPS and the only thing in the middle is BlazingFast's reverse proxy. I have gotten the IP thing fixed.
Interesting. I have seen few reports from various hosts and people about Outlook.com's spam filters being a bit heavy handed and just outright blocking emails from hosts they don't trust. I'd advise setting up SPF and DKIM records for your domain and seeing if that helps at all. If mail delivers to one location, there's very little chance the problem is your server's outbound mail.

Glad you got the other issue sorted. When sat behind proxies you usually just see the proxy's IP address unless the proxy and your web server handles it correctly.
(2016-03-17, 05:58 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting. I have seen  few reports from various hosts and people about Outlook.com's spam filters being a bit heavy handed and just outright blocking emails from hosts they don't trust. I'd advise setting up SPF and DKIM records for your domain and seeing if that helps at all. If mail delivers to one location, there's very little chance the problem is your server's outbound mail.

Glad you got the other issue sorted. When sat behind proxies you usually just see the proxy's IP address unless the proxy and your web server handles it correctly.

Thank you Euan I have setup SPF and DKIM records and everything is running smoothly now.

Solved.
Nice, glad that helped. Hopefully Outlook don't get any more funny about accepting emails Wink