MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion/discussion: language diffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning.
I have seen the discussion in 1.8.7 language files but consider this a different topic. Maybe you have already discussed this in the past or have an opinion on my idea to have the diffs of the updated language-files published with he update announcement.

The trouble is, that I am maintaining a French version of the MyBB language files that I have to translate myself. As my French is not perfect, other people will be asked to lend a hand.

I can create the diffs myself.

Anyway. As I have chosen to (dumbly) overwrite the previous locally stored files with those from the upgrade pack, I am currently scrutinizing the English against the French language files for added or removed tags.
Edit: The significance is, that I cannot detect altered wording this way. Only new or removed tags can be found. Also, after several updates, the last consistent state of the English language files is almost impossible to establish; for that, I would have to re-iterate over all updates, made.

This was my own fault. You do not have to point it out. But we, the users, are the variable part in this process and you the MyBB team are the constant... How about these diffs?

This is not urgent and we can discuss it. Maybe there is no use other than a solution to my current problem. Or I am ignoring something else.

Muchas Danke. (TIA)

Michael
You can always download software like WinMerge and compare inc/language/english folders from 2 MyBB version packages. ACP -> Configuration -> Languages -> Edit with English also shows important differences -additions/deletions/sprintf changes.
(2016-04-03, 06:11 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]You can always download software like WinMerge and compare inc/language/english folders from 2 MyBB version packages. ACP -> Configuration -> Languages -> Edit with English also shows important differences -additions/deletions/sprintf changes.

Rest assured, I know how to make diffs and merge patches.

As this has not been the subject of my OP, would you help me improve my wording and tell me where I gave the impression that I were looking for a way to make diffs? Also, Windows®-software will work only on MS Windows® and I have nowhere made a remark about my operating system.

For clarity, I repeat the request from my first post, above.

It was just about my idea to have the diffs of the updated language-files published with he update announcement.

You can generate view them with GitHub, to get a quick ovewview of what has changed

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/compare/myb....mybb_1807

The two version numbers in the URL just need to be changed to generate comparisons between any two git tags (which there is one for each MyBB version).

Obviously that is a list of all changes made in that version and not just the language files though.
(2016-04-09, 07:15 AM)Tidynator Wrote: [ -> ]It was just about my idea to have the diffs of the updated language-files published with he update announcement.

Which I understood, but you didn't understand the point that it takes few minutes to generate them yourself if you need them. Why would we clutter the version/upgrade page with easily obtainable information that most people don't need?

(2016-04-09, 07:15 AM)Tidynator Wrote: [ -> ]Also, Windows®-software will work only on MS Windows® and I have nowhere made a remark about my operating system.

Hence there's "like" before it, I guess..