MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme version support in admin panel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before posting this suggestion, I searched this forum to make sure this suggestion doesn't exist. Sorry If i am unable to locate if it has been suggested before.

Hi MyBB community,
I have a suggestion in regards to Theme version and updates for MyBB mods themes.

MyBB themes on mods site have version numbers but the theme once installed on MyBB forums doesn't tell forum owners if their theme is updated or not. It may even be outdated and it may have issues but the actual theme is having all issues fixed.

I hope something like a automatic version check is supported so that if a theme is updated on MyBB mods than the website owner will be able to get the latest theme update and use the latest revision.

Hope it will bring better theme management in MyBB. Something like Plugin Updates.

Regards
WallBB
I hope someone checks this suggestion and it doesn't get missed.
Sounds like a good idea.
I'd love to see Git versioning for templates. It would be great to be able to make edits to template files locally, push them to Github or something and then sync the changes with my live or demo forum.
(2016-04-14, 01:48 PM)Starpaul20 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a good idea.

(2016-04-14, 04:05 PM)Marisa Wrote: [ -> ]I'd love to see Git versioning for templates. It would be great to be able to make edits to template files locally, push them to Github or something and then sync the changes with my live or demo forum.

Thanks, I just want to know if it is accepted or not as it will be great for Theme Dev's.
So as we've said previously, we don't really want to get into the business of sending updates through the ACP (as in automatically handling the upgrade) because we've as an organization had too many security incidents to want to build infrastructure that could potentially lead to the compromise of other forums.

That being said, I think if we (as in the MyBB team) worked out a process in which things could be updated automatically with the approval of some number of team members (i.e. eyeballs checking for security/quality issues), and some cryptographic checks, this could be possible. But I wouldn't count on it at this point. It would take a significant amount of time (which we already don't have enough of) to make this happen, and we'd rather get 2.0 out the door and consider this in a 2.x release later, if anything.

As for version checking/notification, I definitely think that would be a cool thing to add with 2.0 and its Extend site!
(2016-07-10, 01:44 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]So as we've said previously, we don't really want to get into the business of sending updates through the ACP (as is automatically handling the upgrade) because we've as an organization had too many security incidents to want to build infrastructure that could potentially lead to the compromise of other forums.

That being said, I think if we (as in the MyBB team) worked out a process in which things could be updated automatically with the approval of some number of team members (i.e. eyeballs checking for security/quality issues), and some cryptographic checks, this could be possible. But I wouldn't count on it at this point. It would take a significant amount of time (which we already don't have enough of) to make this happen, and we'd rather get 2.0 out the door and consider this in a 2.x release later, if anything.

As for version checking/notification, I definitely think that would be a cool thing to add with 2.0 and its Extend site!
That is really cool to know, addition in 2.x also is cool.
Smile