MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Guests" Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could someone explain what "Guests" are and why they would appear on the Who's Online in a Private forum..can they view anything, or just the sign on page? Thanks a million! Dixi
dixi Wrote:Could someone explain what "Guests" are and why they would appear on the Who's Online in a Private forum..can they view anything, or just the sign on page? Thanks a million! Dixi
If it's a private forum, that means that only certain user groups can view/post/reply in it, right? If guests are showing, you've probably allowed your guest user group to view threads, but not necessarily post/reply. If you don't want guests viewing a private forum, disable their ability to view it.
I run a private forum myself and regularly have "guests" appearing online.

Guest's are people who have visited your forums homepage but are not logged in. These guests could be your own users who have not yet logged in or have just logged out. As the statistics by default report the last 15 minutes.

You can see what a user/guest are viewing by clicking "Who's Online [Complete List]". You can also test what a guest can view by loging out of your forum and seeing what you can still view.

Another thing I have noticed is that for users without a static IP address, when there IP address changes they are shown as being online under there current IP address and also as being online as a guest 'X' number of times depending on how many times there IP has changed in the last 15 minutes.