MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hacked? Help, please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometime overnight something has happened to the site. We had a registration from someone in Poland who posted a load of junk before being banned and IP blocked. However, since the, regardless of the template used, any 'I' or 'i' in a post followed by a space is replaced with 'I like to run around naked and I'.

The posts themselves in the database are not affected, as editing the post immediately removes all the garbage in the edit window, but saving or cancelling the edit makes it reappear.

Any idea where to start looking?
what is your forum url ?
Check your wordfilter.
Yeah, got it. Wordfilter had been hacked, thanks.

Now, how hard is it for someone to break in and do that?
(2016-04-01, 09:29 AM)Wiggo Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, got it. Wordfilter had been hacked, thanks.

Now, how hard is it for someone to break in and do that?

With the use of 1.8, this should be impossible.

Maybe someone had acces to your account, or another account with acces to the ACP? Or a team mate was just making a joke?

Take a look in your logs, and you'll see who added this to your wordfilter.
Yeah, check the administrator logs as above. This should help you track down who made the change and when, assuming the logs weren't cleared. You should also change your password and make sure you're following best practices by using an ACP PIN, a renamed admin directory and 2 Factor Authentication for the ACP.