MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changed domain name on website....need a little help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I have a mybb message board which is cardinalempire.net

I registered a domain on the same host called cardinalforums.com and want to change my cardinalempire.net site to that domain name.

I fully hosted the cardinalforums.com domain and copied over all of the cardinalempire.net contents into the new cardinalforums web directory. I can bring up cardinalforums.com in the browser and it shows the cardinalempire.net website content. The problem is when i go to log in on cardinalforums.com it briefly redirects to cardinalempire.net/member.php link and then doesnt log in and just goes back to the unlogged in cardinalforums.com page.

What am I missing here? I knew there would probably be some other files or settings to edit but Im not sure what needs to be changed?
board URL & cookie settings should be changed first in ~/inc/settings.php file
and then at Site Details of Configuration (Settings) section of forum admin panel

more details => http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/login/
Quote:board url => http://cardinalforums.com
cookie domain => .cardinalforums.com
cookie path => /
Thanks .m. so I just change all instances of cardinalempire.net to cardinalforums.com in the settings.php file?
^ basically yes. however, there should not be many instances of the domain name !
Site Details should be also changed at forum admin panel (Configuration section)
OK so I can't overwrite the settings.php in sftp. I've tried changing file attirbutes(to 777) and its denying me permission. I've tried changing attributes in parent directories and its denying me permission. I'm getting denied everywhere. What do I need to do to overwrite this stupid settings.php file.
^ strange! would you like to PM me temporary access to your files (FTP) & new domain's admin panel
you can give your own login credentials & change them later. (Note: I'll be online up to 1830 GMT)
I just got a security alert from my host saying they noticed all the directories had been changed to 777 and they remediated it so I guess they are blocking me from doing it? I'll just contact them and have them do the change this evening. Thanks .m.
^ yes, its better to ask web host support to help with the file permissions.
please see file permissions

basically folders should be set with CHMOD 775. cache folder & its sub-folders should have CHMOD 777
in general, php files should have CHMOD 6xx & settings.php file should be writable
Its getting frustrating. I contacted support and he's like I can add and delete stuff fine. WELL I CAN'T. I can add and delete files in the cardinalforums/ directory but I can't modify ANYTHING in the /inc directory. Can't add, delete, overwrite or change attributes. This whole directory was created last night from cardinalempire.net. I never had this issue with cardinalempire.net directories

So I talked to support AGAIN and finally:

"all those directories are listed as root permissions -- I'm guessing we performed some action for you and didn't change those permissions"

So he fixed it. Why the support agent missed that the first time IDK. Second time is a charm I guess.
Ok I have an issue. I forgot to update emails in the site details section back when i updated all of this. i did this tonight and suddenly i cannot log into the site anymore. Putting in user name and password just flashes back to unlogged in forum page. Help!
Pages: 1 2