MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading Mybb - Theme problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I recently bought a MyBB forum and I upgraded it to the most recent version from 1.2.2. My theme is now really messed up, the logo has been replaced by the default logo, and so have half the buttons. I have the original website files, and I would like to restore them to see if it would solve the problem. Can you tell me where to restore the original files?

Also, the forum came with 20+ plugins installed, is there an easy way to check them all for updates? Several of them are not working with the upgrade.

Thank you all for your help,

Bill

P.S. The site is currently hosted on the previous owner's host, and I am looking to move it to my server. I will be changing the directory from .net/ to .net/forum..if you can offer any tips on making that transition smooth would be excellent.

An issue I was having is that I download the database from the old host, then upload all files for the new host, but then cant get into forums on the new host because of a mysql error (no tables). I tried importing the database into phpmyadmin, but it didnt work. What's the best way to do this?
The update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.6 didn't overwrite your theme or buttons. Did you overwrite them?

As for checking for updates, not in 1.2. But in 1.4, you will be able to: http://tiki.rct3x.net/2007/03/21/mybb-i-...o-plug-in/
I think I accidentally overwrote them, I hit the revert button on one of the template files which was modded with a new theme. Do you know how I can reupload them?

Thanks for the quick reply! Big Grin
OK, how important is updating to 1.2.6? Everytime I re-upload my files from 1.2.2, the theme gets fixed, and the plugins start working again. I'm really tempted to stay with 1.2.2...

What physical file(s) on the server are the templates stored in? I can't seem to find it in any of the documentation/wiki.
Well, if you don't want to get hacked...

The templates are stored in the database.

Second, all you need to do is overwrite all the files EXCEPT inc/settings.php and inc/config.php and the images folder and then run the upgrade script.

It seems to me that instead of putting your theme images in a separate folder you overwrote the default MyBB ones, which you aren't supposed to do.
So the templates are stored in the database...is there an easy way to restore them from an older database, without overwriting new threads/posts?

What I think I will try to do is, update the files on the new host to 1.2.6, then download the database from the old one, upload it to the new one, run the upgrade.php file, and then go into phpmyadmin and edit the templates..Do you think this will work?
tehbx Wrote:So the templates are stored in the database...is there an easy way to restore them from an older database, without overwriting new threads/posts?

What I think I will try to do is, update the files on the new host to 1.2.6, then download the database from the old one, upload it to the new one, run the upgrade.php file, and then go into phpmyadmin and edit the templates..Do you think this will work?

Just restore the mybb_templates and mybb_templatesets tables and then run the upgrade script from 1.2.2.
Oh, wow. I am a noob. Whoever coded this skin just overwrote the default images, and when I uploaded the upgrade, it overwrote them again. That problem is fixed, the forum looks normal now. Thanks so much for your help.

The other issue I'm having is a lot of the plugins aren't working. Is there anything I can do to make them work, if there aren't newer versions?
tehbx Wrote:Oh, wow. I am a noob. Whoever coded this skin just overwrote the default images, and when I uploaded the upgrade, it overwrote them again. That problem is fixed, the forum looks normal now. Thanks so much for your help.

The other issue I'm having is a lot of the plugins aren't working. Is there anything I can do to make them work, if there aren't newer versions?

First, if they aren't compatible for 1.2.x then don't use them at all. Second, if they require theme edits or give an error try and update it then reactivate it. And third, if it doesn't work and there are no updates just deactivate them.
Ok, thanks for all your help!