MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows Vienna Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

I started new forum about the upcoming version of Windows, Windows Vienna.

http://www.windowsviennaforums.com

Matt
By upcoming you mean its scheduled for release in 2009...which means we'll have it by 2015.
Not a bad idea, but two things:

1) I wouldn't use an IPB-look-alike skin. The MyBB looks aren't bad at all.
2) Be careful about the trademark (talking about usage of windows vienna in domain). I am not sure if "vienna" is already a registered trademark, but it should be, and if you get popular and come to attention of microsoft, they would like to transfer over your domain to them. Happened to a friend of mine in the good old xp times.
I still can't get over the fact that someone can trademark windows....I should try to trademark wheel or fire and cash in Smile

(yes I know it's a bit more complicated than that but come now....Windows?? I'll set up a site MacroHard and the online community of that will be called Macrohard-on and I'll sue the go-nads off of the adult industry Smile)
Poodle: 2009 means 2009. Microsoft has said that it WILL ship in 2009.

Asad_Niazi: The IP.B theme is for tempoary use. I hope to get a new theme soon.
As for the trademark, someone that doesn't work for MS owns windowsvienna.com
vistaforums.com is also not owened by microsoft as far as I know, so I think it will be ok.
Cool_Guy Wrote:Poodle: 2009 means 2009. Microsoft has said that it WILL ship in 2009.
Are you being ignorant or something? The same guys at Microsoft said Vista would ship in 2003...and here we are 4 years later...

Microsoft's release estimates are never right...
Yes, but Microsoft has made it clear this time, that it will not be late. Anyway, let's not turn this into a flamewar. Why not talking it on the forum in this thread? Toungue
Cool_Guy Wrote:Asad_Niazi: The IP.B theme is for tempoary use. I hope to get a new theme soon.
As for the trademark, someone that doesn't work for MS owns windowsvienna.com
vistaforums.com is also not owened by microsoft as far as I know, so I think it will be ok.

Hope for the best Smile .. But Microsoft wasn't able to register the trademark as Vista because it was already registered, they settled with "Windows Vista" AFAIK. They may register it in the same way again, i.e. "Windows Vienna". I would just try to play safe, but yeah maybe no big deal for quite a lot time I guess.

Working on the logo will be a good idea.
Ewwww ugly theme.. Ewwwwww.
Quote:Asad_Niazi: The IP.B theme is for tempoary use.

If it's just temporary why use an illegal theme? Why not just use the Mybb theme? It's NOT a bad looking theme by far. It's disrespectful to the mybb team imho to pretend to have an IPB site when in reality you are using mybb. I wish Mybb would take a better stance on that.

Other than that a windowsviennaforums you do have some TM problems. "Windows Vista" is the TM as will "Windows Vienna"...not just vienna. You may or may not get hassle from MS over it. Normally if you have a legit fan site with regular google ads they tend to leave you alone. Whatever you do don't park the domain name is they regularly view parked companies like Sedo and go after the names via lawsuits.

Whenever Vienna ships doesn't matter...2009 is around the corner and even if it was 2012..well that's just a few years away too. As you get older years sort of have a different meaning.

Good luck on the site.
Pages: 1 2