MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Liquid information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok. I have been dreaming about this...
even I don't use MyBB, but I know this is the feature people wants...
1. separation of data and presentation for advanced users:
Possible for pure XML output, user use their own style sheets

2. OpenID
Be one of the first to use OpenID

3. Syndication between different forums
a person can post one post on different forums.
This post can be show on all the forums it's allowed, and user can see the reply to that post on one forum, but all other forums.

Just one of the few things I suggest... with these incorporated... forums can be such a better place...
Quote:ok. I have been dreaming about this...
Do you mean XML and XSLT? If so then that is too complicated for normal/in-experienced users (and has a more complex learning curve) compared to our current template system.

Our current template already separates data and presentation - all HTML/CSS is separate from our code.
Chris Boulton Wrote:
Quote:ok. I have been dreaming about this...
Do you mean XML and XSLT? If so then that is too complicated for normal/in-experienced users (and has a more complex learning curve) compared to our current template system.

Our current template already separates data and presentation - all HTML/CSS is separate from our code.
Yes, XML and XSLT...
You just have to add this capibility, there can be a place filled with XSLT made to turn XML look better...
each user can use their own XSLT.. if they don't have one, they use the default provided by the board
Wayyy too complicated. Even I am not all that experienced with XSTL
Tikitiki Wrote:Wayyy too complicated. Even I am not all that experienced with XSTL
MyBB only need to take care of the XML output... Like a service. other users can use the XML data to do mash ups and what ever they want with it...
So MyBB can work as a pure data providing forum instead of data and presentation bonded forum.
Either way, I don't think many people would even give the slightest care of XSTL sheets on a forum. This would best suite a plugin.
It would make more sense to be "truly" XHTML compliant. Writing a parser that makes sense of "correct" XHTML output isn't that difficult at all. (it's XML afterall)

Or wait a second, were you talking about RSS/Atom type XML all over?
When I say XML, I mean something like:
<post>
<meta>
<starter name="mgccl" />
<time>
</time>
</meta>
<body>
<![CDATA[
all the HTML stuff
]]>
</body>
</post>
If there is a forum system in the world that be the first to take the stand to become the next generation of forum, I think it should be MyBB...
Just look around all the forum systems, non of them can really make a user's life easier.

This XML thing will be very useful for anyone who ever needs PURE data from the forum...for example, people making mash ups pages, people making aggregating sites where it scraps few site's topics and posts.

This plugin can be very easy to write but I believe if this is part of the core, this can start a revolution in the forum business...
For example, the main reason converting things from one forum to another.. or one blog from another mainly because there is no standard XML output among them.

I could just fix you up with one script if you don't have time Smile