MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merge / import from bbpress - 5000 posts per hr only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am importing a large community from bbpress.  480,000 forum posts.  I took my site offline thinking the import would take a few hrs maximum.

latest version wordpress, bbpress and mybb.

So 3 days later, its running at 5000 posts per hr maximum...but it just stops half the time and i have to restart it.

I have a pretty big server (32 gig ram lots of processing power) so not sure why its not just smashing along.

13000 users were imported in about 8 minutes but forum posts?  Taking forever.

At this rate... maybe 2 weeks if at all?

Is there some trick i am missing
I always suggest: if you are doing merge then do on your local machine using xampp (localhost), later upload merged stuff on live production server.

It's faster, reliable..

Even the best of best system administrator fails at some point, every day is a new day to learn something innovative (Life of a sysadmin :< )
(2016-04-26, 07:54 AM)Donald_Duck Wrote: [ -> ]I always suggest: if you are doing merge then do on your local machine using xampp (localhost), later upload merged stuff on live production server.

It's faster, reliable..

I have an 8gig ram windows laptop.
a 32 gig ram more, faster processor server with a dedicated mysql hard drive and main drive is ssd too.

Server, is running almost nothing else.
(2016-04-26, 07:58 AM)nippi9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-26, 07:54 AM)Donald_Duck Wrote: [ -> ]I always suggest: if you are doing merge then do on your local machine using xampp (localhost), later upload merged stuff on live production server.

It's faster, reliable..

a 32 gig ram more, faster processor server with a dedicated mysql hard drive and main drive is ssd too.

That's awesome for the merge you will be performing, go for it
(2016-04-26, 08:01 AM)Donald_Duck Wrote: [ -> ]

It's faster, reliable..

which is.  the server... on which its running almost too slow to work... or my laptop... on which you are suggesting it will run faster?  Sorry.  Im a bit slow, not sure what you mean
(2016-04-26, 08:07 AM)nippi9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-26, 08:01 AM)Donald_Duck Wrote: [ -> ]

It's faster, reliable..

which is.  the server... on which its running almost too slow to work... or my laptop... on which you are suggesting it will run faster?  Sorry.  Im a bit slow, not sure what you mean

Np dear, i suggest to run merge on your local machine (laptop) with xampp. Online server sometimes timesout and many more stuff but on localserver you can modify timeouts etc from php.ini etc etc

(I personally never done merge but i will like to see someone creates a video tut to perform this on xmpp)
Hmm. not really an option for me. 8 gig database, never worked on sites locally so likely a couple of days learning curve.

I guess i just have to sit it out... just makes no sense to me why its so slow. Its not a timing out issue. When its running, its running, just slow as hell.
Maybe give it a try rather than pulling your hair or waiting in hopes..anyhow your wish - cheers
(2016-04-26, 08:37 AM)Donald_Duck Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe give it a try rather than pulling your hair or waiting in hopes..anyhow your wish - cheers

I am thankful for your offer.  But I was not after someone to help me fix it.  I was after an answer as to why the importer/merge was such a dog.

I imported from vbulletin to wordpress in about 45 minutes.

On the same server.  No issues.

There is something wrong with the merge, or the instructions and certainly with by the looks of it, the knowledge base here too.

I couldnt be the only person to have hit this wall.
OK, so I set up xampp, loaded the site locally, set up mybb, got the merge going...

users took 2 minutes(13,000)
threads (40,000) took 5 minutes
Posts (480,000) is simply never going to finish. A couple of thousand being processed per hr.  

really?

No clues from anyone?  No settings I could tweak?
Im just screwed?
Pages: 1 2