MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "upload" folder problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so here is the deal, I uploaded everything just right and followed instructions. Then the upload folder inside public_html/forums keeps doing very odd things. At first I upload it then when I CHMODED the uploads folder to 666. I then tried to open up the uploads folder to access the avatars folder so I can CHMOD that, and I get an error "Internal Error, can't find that folder."

At first I thought. Hmmm... maybe somehow It didn't get uploaded. So I re-uploaded it a couple times and still had the same problem. So I decided to try something else. I logged into my cpanel and went to file manager. I then manually created the uploads folder then manually created the avatars folder then uploaded both of the files that are supposed to go into each folder.

All looks good, until I try to CHMOD and then it tells me the same thing... "Internal Error, can't find that folder"

So somehow the avatars folder or something keeps disappearing. Sad I saw it right after I transferred it, but not after I CHMOded it. It was gone after the CHMOD. Sad

Help anyone? Thanks!
Probably a security feature imposed by your host. You should contact them for this problem.
I highly doubt it. This same exact problem happened with my old host when I tried to install MyBB. Sad
I can assure you that CHMOD is not a MyBB Command and it doesn't have anything to do with MyBB. This is a host problem.
I do not have a problem CHMOD'ing anything.  The problem is files that disapear.  The contents of the upload folder keep disapearing on me.  I can CHMOD everything else just fine, except for the avatars folder, because that folder is usually missing.  Even if I transfer it manually via ftp or file browser, the contents of the uploads folder always seems to disapear.  I will see it one second, then the next it is gone. Sad

The last time I installed MyBB on another host, I ran into the same exact problem! I had a friend upload the folders and stuff again, and for some very odd reason it worked for him! He didn't contact the host or anything. So I know it has nothing to do with Host Gator, my host.
There is no function in MyBB that "randomly deletes the folders when you make it CHMOD 777".

It's a host problem for the last time. For all you know, your friend could be using a different plan, or setup on a different configuration. Not ALL of the servers on Host Gator (Or any place) are exactly the same, so it could be a problem specific to the server your on.