MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: People trying to scam plugin authors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is the best forum category for this topic but there seems to be no better one and I guess the people who are in danger will read this category most.

I've been recently made aware of a method to scam plugin authors. In fact somebody tried to scam me to get a custom made plugin without paying.
Such scam isn't new, there are a lot of people trying not to pay using paypal scam methods but this approach was completely different.
Short version: He tried to trick me into allowing PHP execution in MyBB ACP during a plugin test. The long version which includes the experiences of other plugin authors can be found here.

The user who tried to scam me was tiger1. Be extremly careful if you are working for him. MyBB community staff - feel free to have a look at the PMs I exchanged with tiger1.

If you noticed similar scam attempts I'd be happy to know about them. I doubt the specific user accounts will last (new ones are made easily) but if we break the possibilities to scam us we'll all win.

Best regards
Lennart Sauter
Sorry to hear about your recent experience with the client.

At least in this case you caught on before anything was done Smile. Curious, was it a big project you was working on for the client (in other words, are you out of pocket quite a bit due to invested time)?
(2016-04-27, 02:11 PM)Alex - A2Hosting Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to hear about your recent experience with the client.

At least in this case you caught on before anything was done Smile. Curious, was it a big project you was working on for the client (in other words, are you out of pocket quite a bit due to invested time)?

Thank you.

It was big for a MyBB plugin (~250€ payment) but since my company does mainly work for other clients it is no big deal for us. We do custom plugins for fun, education of teammembers (MyBB onboarding) and to support the community here, not to earn a lot of money. Still sad if the work is not honored.