MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shared user database for 2 boards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if and how would be possible to link the same database to 2 boards, so that users joined to one will be automatically registered to the other one aswell.

This should involve just users login data, not pmes/posts/reputation.
It should be possible but I think you're looking at a custom mod here. I don't recall anything like this having been released.

Might be best to seek out quotes from developers who can do this for you.

On another note, you might have to share some things across unless your developer really changed things (upgrading in future might be an issue also). Things like a users post count etc

Would be interesting to see if you ever get something like this done though Smile.
(2016-04-29, 02:41 PM)Alex - A2Hosting Wrote: [ -> ]It should be possible but I think you're looking at a custom mod here. I don't recall anything like this having been released.

Uhm well let's wait for some more replies, otherwise I will look for a custom solution.
(2016-04-29, 02:43 PM)ShadowOne Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-29, 02:41 PM)Alex - A2Hosting Wrote: [ -> ]It should be possible but I think you're looking at a custom mod here. I don't recall anything like this having been released.

Uhm well let's wait for some more replies, otherwise I will look for a custom solution.

Of course. Actually, I've just had a thought that might make this much easier (and cheaper) if you go the developer route: You should be able to have the registration form write to 2 databases. This way users would be completely separate (posts, pm, post count etc) but only have to fill in the registration form once for both forums.

Of course the flaw to this method is syncing. If one changes his email or password it wouldn't only happen on 1 of the databases (though you could also look into solutions which writes to both databases should the email address or password be changed).

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of work to achieve what you're trying. May I ask the reasoning you're after this?
you can try using this method
please note: I've not tested it for MyBB 1.8.x & support might not be available
(2016-04-29, 02:52 PM)Alex - A2Hosting Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-29, 02:43 PM)ShadowOne Wrote: [ -> ]

Of course. Actually, I've just had a thought that might make this much easier (and cheaper) if you go the developer route: You should be able to have the registration form write to 2 databases. This way users would be completely separate (posts, pm, post count etc) but only have to fill in the registration form once for both forums.

Of course the flaw to this method is syncing. If one changes his email or password it wouldn't only happen on 1 of the databases (though you could also look into solutions which writes to both databases should the email address or password be changed).

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of work to achieve what you're trying. May I ask the reasoning you're after this?

It's because I have more websites based on Mybb, but while one of them has to be a "standard" forum, another one is being used as personal website without discussion areas, but access has to be restricted to members of the other board.