MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Search Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm evaluating different forum software, right now MyBB is in the lead. As far as I know, I've never used MyBB except for this forum (community.mybb.com). Once thing I've noticed is significant delays when searching. I wouldn't mind so much but even View New Posts or View Today's Posts causes a several second delay. Is this typical? The community.mybb.com board has over a million posts, will smaller boards run faster (of course depending on hardware, etc.)? The forum I'm looking to replace (actually an email list) has had about 10,000 posts in about a decade, so it is much smaller than this community. I'm hoping on a smaller database like that common searches might happen in less than a second. Is that realistic? Thanks for any feedback.
Quote:... common searches might happen in less than a second. Is that realistic?
no, it takes a few seconds. may be you have to use something like Sphinx search

see also Fast Search plugin
You can use google custom search which is also very popular, free and fast.
Thanks for the suggestions. However, what I was really concerned about is not full text searches but rather the delay that occurs when pressing View New Posts or View Today's Posts. It seems to me that these very common (and simple) operations should happen with minimal delay.
let it be any system,
fetching results from the database takes some time. it cannot be without few seconds delay.

anyway, see also thunderboard plugin
Quote:I wouldn't mind so much but even View New Posts or View Today's Posts causes a several second delay. Is this typical?

The server here responds within ~500ms for me. 10,000 posts is tiny, I wouldn't worry about performance until there's a problem. Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
In my forum, I've rolled new posts/today's posts into one "latest posts" and it actually shows the post of the last 60 days. (search.php?action=getdaily&days=60). That way you always get a full list with pagination even in a forum that sees comparatively little activity. You can still make out the new/unread posts since they are bold, so I don't see why these should be separated.

MyBB has some defaults that are not good for small forums. If you don't get many posts a day, the default "new posts/today's posts" will only ever show you an near-empty list which makes your forum seem less active than it actually is. This is even a problem for "medium" sized forums (e.g. mybb.de today's posts gives me a whopping two threads, what's the use of that)

I don't have any issue with search speeds. If you don't like the search "friendly redirection" you can disable it so you get to see the results directly...

Speed in general will depend on your webserver / sheer complexity of forum database but that's not an issue in small forums. MyBB runs well even on shared hosting.
@frostschutz Thanks for your very useful answer.