MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: content storage location, ownership?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings - 
    I'm new here - considering using this product to host a forum.  A few basic questions:
  • where is the content/postings and any attachments stored?  How secure?
  • Who 'owns' the content?  Mine is a group of attorneys, and I would not want the information shared at any point.  Is there a MyBB manual which specifies this?
Thank you!
     Lisa
MyBB Management doesn't provide web hosting service.
you can use MyBB software anywhere you like.
you are owner of everything you setup.
MyBB Management doesn't control users' forums & their content.
(2016-05-03, 03:48 PM)LisaR@CLRN Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings - 
    I'm new here - considering using this product to host a forum.  A few basic questions:
  • Who 'owns' the content?  Mine is a group of attorneys, and I would not want the information shared at any point.  Is there a MyBB manual which specifies this?
Thank you!
     Lisa

Posts are stored in a MySQL database. Attachments are stored in a file folder. How secure is it? It depends on your configuration. As admin, you can set permissions (based on user groups) as to who sees which categories / forums. You can also configure which usergroups can see attachments in which category / forum.

Who owns the content? The MyBB Group owns the copyright to the forum software. The theme is copyrighted by its creator. Any plugins you install are copyright by their creators. Everything else (posts, attachments) should be clarified by the site's legal disclaimer. This disclaimer should state if the content belongs to the site or poster.
(2016-05-03, 04:28 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-03, 03:48 PM)LisaR@CLRN Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings - 
Thank you!
     Lisa

Posts are stored in a MySQL database. Attachments are stored in a file folder. How secure is it? It depends on your configuration. As admin, you can set permissions (based on user groups) as to who sees which categories / forums. You can also configure which usergroups can see attachments in which category / forum.

Who owns the content? The MyBB Group owns the copyright to the forum software. The theme is copyrighted by its creator.  Any plugins you install are copyright by their creators. Everything else (posts, attachments) should be clarified by the site's legal disclaimer. This disclaimer should state if the content belongs to the site or poster.
  Thank you for your helpful reply.  
-Lisa

(2016-05-03, 04:11 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB Management doesn't provide web hosting service.
you can use MyBB software anywhere you like.
you are owner of everything you setup.
MyBB Management doesn't control users' forums & their content.

Thank you!
-Lisa
Where is the content/postings and any attachments stored? How secure?
During the installation process of MyBB you'll setup a MySQL database with a username and password. MyBB content is saved to your database and only you will have access to the database because it contains sensitive information. Generally MyBB is very secure forum software, what you need to watch out for is vulnerabilities in forum plugins and add-ons.

Who 'owns' the content? Mine is a group of attorneys, and I would not want the information shared at any point. Is there a MyBB manual which specifies this?
Only you will be able to view sensitive content through the database. Unless your site is hacked nobody should be able to see private information such as private messages and user emails/passes. Make sure you go with a trusted hosting company.
Thank you for the informative reply! Do you have a suggestion of a trusted hosting company?
(2016-05-03, 08:47 PM)LisaR@CLRN Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the informative reply!  Do you have a suggestion of a trusted hosting company?

Certainly.

OVH.com is a great host, and where I get my VPS plan.

Check the private message I sent you. Should be displayed at the top of the forum Smile
So, I want to confirm, even when I hire a host server, the content posted to the forum is saved in a secure MySQL database on my hard drive? Or, when one hired a host, is it required that the MySQL database is stored on their hardware?

Thanks!
Lisa
^ in general, the database is stored on web host storage system. however regular backups can be taken ..
(2016-05-09, 03:11 PM)LisaR@CLRN Wrote: [ -> ]So, I want to confirm, even when I hire a host server, the content posted to the forum is saved in a secure MySQL database on my hard drive?  Or, when one hired a host, is it required that the MySQL database is stored on their hardware?

Thanks!
  Lisa

The database has to be stored where it is accessible by the web server. This generally means it's not on your laptop's hard drive, for example. For security purposes, it's generally on the same internal network as the web server so you don't have to have port 3306 open to the internet. Likewise, any attachments are stored on the hard drive of the web server. Check your host's terms of service, but I haven't seen one that claims ownership to your site's content.
Pages: 1 2