MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Estimate of costs for server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to estimate cost to purchase hardware elements needed to host MyBB on our own server, say up to 500 users.  Is there a reputable website that has recommended configurations options?  Are there other admin upkeep costs besides the initial hardware purchase?  Please forgive the newbie question.  

Thank you,
  Lisa
in general, shared hosting (Linux) is about 60$ per year and domain name is about 12$ per year.

please see basic requirements
You can pay as little as $3.59/month for an OVH Linux or Windows VPS. Generally .COM domains are $10 - $12. GoDaddy used to have a deal where if you bought a domain you'd get a hosting discount or free for the first year. Check out some top of the line hosting companies and compare deals!

MyBB is lightweight and you should be able to have thousands of members on a single server. If you think you'll have 500+ users go with VPS hosting rather than shared hosting.

Apart from hosting and domain costs there's nothing else that you need to pay for as an admin. Of course you should fit in an advertising budget if you plan to get your site off the ground!
My new Forum is hosted now in GoDaddy. http://www.politz.com.br/forum

I pay like R$ 450,00 (1 R$ = 3,75 U$) per year (about R$ 37,00 per month) for my Shared Linux Hosting + Domain.

For my experience in reading and studying sucess forum cases, i found out that you dont need a dedicate server in the beginning of your enterprise. Just when you get like 5k users or more you are going to need it. By this time, the Ads in your Forum are going to pay the host by himself.

I wish that i live in EUA or Canada... My Country sucks so bad in so many ways i cant describe.

Sad
Hey palhanow,
Is it 450.00 or 450,00 ?
You can use free webhosting if you don't want to pay for hosting Smile
palhanow, even with 5k users a dedicated server would be an overkill (Unless not wanting to optimize)
Heck, even at quite a lot of requests per second (Because user amount doesn't always conclude traffic) you wouldn't need a dedicated server at most two VPSs, one for the web server (& php) and one for the database; which works quite nicely if you're going with a host that has the feature of creating a private network which is better for the longer run as you can easily take out and put in new servers as needed thus keeping the cost to a minimum.

(2016-05-03, 08:22 PM)Islander Tony Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is lightweight

Not exactly... But not that heavy that you'd need too much resources per request also would be a bit careful when going by price with VPSs, now ovh is somewhat good but you can easily get lead into a summer host (Only lasts a summer then degrades) or such by focusing on prices.
WallBB,

I always get confused with "." and "," in international languages, sorry about that WallBB. In pure english, i pay: four hundred and fifty reais per year (R$ 450 or 120 U$ per year) (R$ 37,00 or U$ 9 U$ per month) in a basic shared plan of GoDaddy (my webmaster liked the service A LOT, he is migrating all his websites from others TO GoDadddy - i understand like NOTHING of the technical aspects, but its sound good for me).

Minimum Brazilian Monthly Wage = R$ 870 -> Worth nothing.

Rakes,

Thanks for the tips man. Really appreciate.
Like i said, its my first Forum, my first business experience after some study. Btw, we don't get a lot of books for reading in "How To Setup Your First Forum" Tips and Tricks" subjects and that kind of stuff. Mostly comes from reading others forums and searching google :/

I believe that my business will take a very long time to grow (after second year, MAYBE first year IF my marketing campaign works great), especially in Brazil, despite the large niche = politics. I am aiming in the long run, with great patience and daily dedication.

Any tips? Smile
Thank you for the information - looks like no need to have a so-called dedicated server, and makes sense to pay for the service.

Related question: when you pay for the server service, where does the content of my forum reside (in the cloud, with the server company, or on a hard drive of mine?)? Are there different options?

Thanks,
Lisa
^ in general, either with the server company (on their storage system) or in the cloud storage [depending on your hosting]
(2016-05-09, 03:19 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ in general, either with the server company (on their storage system) or in the cloud storage [depending on your hosting]

Got it, thanks.