MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Secure Registration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I would like to request a secure or complete registration process:
  • A new user fills in the registration form
  • An email is sent to the new user to verify the entered email address
  • The new user clicks on a link in that email to confirm
  • Administrator receives an email with a link
  • Administrator clicks on link to check the user data and activate the user. Upto this moment the new user has no access rights at all.
  • New user receives an email saying his acount is activated

Would be realy great, to have such an registration process.

Regards
Heinrich
warp-it Wrote:I would like to request a secure or complete registration process:

That would be great indeed. Several forums have these registration processes which leave no room for unwanted users with fake emails.

Regards
Mohamed
You can actually do this right now Smile

1. Change the permissions of the "Registered" usergroup so that they have no access.
2. Set the "registration method" setting to "Email-Activation"
3. Create another usergroup called "Activated Users" with normal user permissions.
4. Install and activate this plugin which will alert a specified email address whenever a user registers.
5. Change each user's usergroup from "Registered" to "Activated Users" by editing the user (once notified by the email from the plugin).
DennisTT Wrote:You can actually do this right now Smile
That's an excellent solution--it never occurred to me to handle it this way. Thanks a lot DennisTT.

Regards
maatty
warp-it Wrote:I would like to request a secure or complete registration process:
  • A new user fills in the registration form
  • An email is sent to the new user to verify the entered email address
  • The new user clicks on a link in that email to confirm
  • Administrator receives an email with a link
  • Administrator clicks on link to check the user data and activate the user. Upto this moment the new user has no access rights at all.
  • New user receives an email saying his acount is activated

I thought of adding this as an alternative to Dennis-TT's solution:

In your inc/languages/english [or your language]/messages.lang.php, search for:
$l['emailsubject_activateaccount'] = "Account Activation at {1}";
Replace with:
$l['emailsubject_activateaccount'] = "Account Activation Request";

Then search for:
$l['email_activateaccount'] = "{1},

To complete the registration process on {2}, you will need to go to the URL below in your web browser.

{3}/member.php?action=activate&uid={4}&code={5}

If the above link does not work correctly, go to

{3}/member.php?action=activate

You will need to enter the following:
Username: {1}
Activation Code: {5}

Thank you,
{2} Staff";

Replace with:
$l['email_activateaccount'] = "Dear {1},

Thank you for registering in our forum. To complete the registration process on {2}, you will need to resend this email to us without making any changes in the subject or the content of the email (just press Reply and Send buttons in your email editor). 

For use by Adminstrator only:
Activation request from:  {1}
User ID: http://yourdomain.com/member.php?action=profile&uid={4}

Thank you,
{2} Staff";
Change "yourdomain.com" to your actual forum URL.

In this way the newly registered user:
  • gets an email from the forum and has to reply to it
  • confirms his or her email address
And the Admistrator receives an email with a link to the user's Profile. The Adminstrator (while being logged in) can then press the user's link in the email. There the Aminstrator can use the Admin Options (in the user's profile ==> Edit this user in Admin CP ==> login to the ACP and activate the user.

You may finally wish to send the new user an email confirming that his or her account has been activated.

This whole thing can be adapted to suit your needs.

Remeber to backup your "messages.lang.php" file just in case you decide to go back to the default.

You may wish to try to register first in my forum to see how it works:
http://edcu.net/forums
But, I'm afraid you can't use a nickname in my academic forum, nor can you fill in the custom fileds with information that is not real.

Regards
When you're editing the language file it's recommended not to use Notepad since sometimes it adds weird characters resulting in PHP warnings.
DennisTT Wrote:When you're editing the language file it's recommended not to use Notepad since sometimes it adds weird characters resulting in PHP warnings.
Thanks DennisTT. I personally use EditPlus for quick viewing or editing, but dreamweaver is my favorite.
Not to set the topic off by any means, but what else would be nice is if the user registration supported HTTPS login. However, the server would have to support HTTPs also. Smile