MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread preview on mouseover.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know MyBB Gold isn't going to be a clone of vB, but I really like this feature. When you mouseover a thread title or cell, a quick preview of the thread is shown. In the Admin CP, this feature can be completely disabled if it's not wanted. Administrators can also decide how many lines and/or characters should be shown per preview.

Is this a planned feature?
hehe

A lot of your requests are basically features found in vb. Remember, MyBB is NOT trying to mimic vb. This sounds more of a mod type of work, than a default mybb package feature. I think you should head on over to mybbmods.com instead and request for this feature.
Quote:I know MyBB Gold isn't going to be a clone of vB...
As I've said, I realize this. But you have to admit, many of their features are pretty nice. I'll check over at the modifications forums to see if it can be made. Thanks.
Thread preview on mouseover does use more server resources from what i have read about it in the past, so it is not always a good thing.
Well, I could find this a usable feature.

I would do it by adding a new column to the threads table called threadpreview or something, with a 100 character limit. Then when a thread is made or edited the first 100 characters of the first post are inserted in to that field.

If I did add this to MyBB i'd make it a "gradual implementation" feature in which it only starts taking effect when:

a) A thread is viewed and it doesn't contain a thread preview -it would then update it so it does have one.

or

b) Threads that are posted after the user has upgraded to the new version.

This would be a less intense way of doing things, especially instead of the update script going through every post and making the preview then and there..
Chris Boulton Wrote:Well, I could find this a usable feature.

I would do it by adding a new column to the threads table called threadpreview or something, with a 100 character limit. Then when a thread is made or edited the first 100 characters of the first post are inserted in to that field.

If I did add this to MyBB i'd make it a "gradual implementation" feature in which it only starts taking effect when:

a) A thread is viewed and it doesn't contain a thread preview -it would then update it so it does have one.

or

b) Threads that are posted after the user has upgraded to the new version.

This would be a less intense way of doing things, especially instead of the update script going through every post and making the preview then and there..
I prefer version "a" of doing it. But I'm a bit confused. Do you mean there would be no preview if the views column said "0?"
*hope this is correct*

He means that instead of taking up heaps of processing time adding post previews to each thread during the forum upgrade, he has two other ways of making this feature take effect. After upgrading (to the version containing post previews):

a) When someone first views a thread, and that thread does not already contain a post preview, it will insert one into the DB to use
(works for old threads)

and/or (?)

b) New posts made after the upgrade with newthread.php will automaticly insert a post preview
(works for new threads)
Couldn't both methods be incorporated? If so, I'd assume that would be the best step...
k776, I believe you are correct in the way you interpretted it. That would be the most logical way for it work (both a and b, not or).
drygnfyre Wrote:Couldn't both methods be incorporated? If so, I'd assume that would be the best step...
That's exactly what I meant Wink
Pages: 1 2