MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tips, tricks for starting, to maintenance and to administer a new Forum!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most other forums systems have a Thread to discuss, collaborate, share experiences, tips and advice to manage your Forum.

I have this intention of creating this topic so that administrators of small or large forums, share your own experiences.

What do you think guys? It will help many people, right? Include me! Im new at this, i just started my first Forum: http://www.politz.com.br/forum - and... Its hard to get users to register and post new content. 

So... Some starting questions:

- What we have to do to attract new users? AND REGISTER?

- What we have to do, to create a large Forum?

- Any tips for monetizing a Forum?

- And please, share your own experiences, your own success (or failures). What to do to doing right.
I have written some tutorials, maybe they can help you
http://wallbb.co.uk/mybb-tutorials/
http://wallbb.co.uk/10-ways-for-those-ha...ful-forum/

Regards
WallBB
Hey WallBB,

I 've read all your tutorials. Very nice job! (Was the first in Google results, nice SEO work too)

Im seeking too experiences about other admins, for share with the rest of the MyBB Community.

Its nice to read sucess/failure cases.

Bye, see u man.
I know that having an already active forum merge into mine helped. Profile links (follow or nofollow, it's shown that having a good mix of backlinks helps) help SEO wise. You can also try promoting your site. Just a note advertisements (on your forum) will make it look spammy and push many users away. Personally my forum has had some success due to it's awesome staff team. I'm still working on it and learning but I look forward to it's future Smile
Thanks for your reply Edgestra.

I started this Forum alone. It's hard in Brazil to find business partners. It's all by myself and still looking for more Staff.

I have 29 registered users so far. With 2 or 3 posting and using the Forum a little. I think this is normal in the firsts months, but, in the next semester im going to start a marketing campaign. The users are posting some, i have 62 threads, and 182 posts so far.

Its very small, i know, but, by all that i read, its all about patience and posting some content day by day.

I hope when i start the marketing campaign this change everything. My Forum is the FIRST and UNIQUE in BRAZIL about politics, civism, democracy and that kind of stuff.

In the Ads side, i just use 3 Google Ads: One banner in the footer, in the header and one banner in postbit (after post #11 in each thread). Do you think my ads are ok?
Altogether i would say, it requires a lot of patience and dedication to grow the forum. Take like 5-8 years, then afterwards the fruit ripen's, and you can taste it.

Unique content - > 90% success
Active staff - > 40% success
Once you reach 50 k members - > Enable forum Ad's
Good site load speed - > 50% success

Note: marketing campaign is waste for a new forum, i experienced it myself.. maybe try your luck..