MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SEO Description
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
Each time I'm searching my forum something "odd" happens.
I introduced a meta description, but there's something that still shows :
[Image: kuCwKOr.png]
"Brainotic. Hello There, Guest Login Register .... "

How do I delete this?

Bump, no one?:/
The meta description is only a hint. It will show something else if it has your search terms in it, and shows those terms in bold.

If you do a pure site search (site:yoursite.com/forum) you should see your meta descriptions as no other search terms are provided.

Of course if you added meta descriptions only very recently you still have to wait for google to actually pick up on them.
(2016-05-14, 10:12 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]The meta description is only a hint. It will show something else if it has your search terms in it, and shows those terms in bold.

If you do a pure site search (site:yoursite.com/forum) you should see your meta descriptions as no other search terms are provided.

Of course if you added meta descriptions only very recently you still have to wait for google to actually pick up on them.

I am sorry to say this, but I haven't asked how meta description works, neither what its function is.
I simply asked for a method to remove the above mentioned text.

I don't wanna sound rude but some other people might take this as an answer to my question, which is quite irrelevant.
(2016-05-14, 11:50 AM)Madtrippin Wrote: [ -> ]I am sorry to say this

No, you're not.

(2016-05-14, 11:50 AM)Madtrippin Wrote: [ -> ]but I haven't asked how meta description works, neither what its function is.

Well, maybe you should, because you clearly don't understand a lick of it. It's not up to you what Google displays in its search results. Google decides that by itself. At best you can influence it only very indirectly.

(2016-05-14, 11:50 AM)Madtrippin Wrote: [ -> ]I simply asked for a method to remove the above mentioned text.

You can't. Short of removing the offending text from your site entirely, which is probably not a constructive way of doing things. Or you could reorder things and add more text to your page with your search terms in it and hope that Google will randomly pick that instead, but the decision is still Google's.

(2016-05-14, 11:50 AM)Madtrippin Wrote: [ -> ]I don't wanna sound rude but some other people might take this as an answer to my question, which is quite irrelevant.

It was an answer to your question. Maybe not dumbed down enough for you, Mr. Brainiac.
You also have duplicate content in the index, you should set a preferred domain. Both https://brainotic.com/ and http://www.brainotic.com appear in the index and are accessible like that. You should redirect one to the other.

Lastly, you can use Webmaster tools, to "fetch as google" your URL, to update that URL in the index. It appears it has already been updated, and as mentioned before Google decides what to display to searchers regardless of what's in the meta tag.