MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Photo album for each user
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Feature Suggestion/Enhancement: Photo album for each user

Each user should have a place for them to upload their photos. They can manage their album who can view, rate, comment...Administrator can set album by default.

Expected functionality

If it's possible, the display way can be as tumblr in archive. Since the photos with different sizes are fixed together. It looks more attractive. 

Example link: http://floralls.tumblr.com/archive 

Any additional notes

Since now is the era of social network. We need something to keep our user to stay with us...As I see, over the time, most of forums are abandoned where before it used to be a place for chat, talk, discuss.

Now we need to turn the forum into half social network and a half of forum. So some of these features are really necessary these days.

Thanks for reading.
Better served as a plugin.
(2016-05-16, 03:13 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Better served as a plugin.

Agreed. This is the kind of extra functionality that is best suited for plugins.
MyBB isn't a social network. It's a discussion board. Both serve two very different purposes.
Photo Albums only in Vbulletin as a Default function and many forum owner does not use it . I cant find similar function in any other forum as default .
Who says a photo album can't show off a graphic portfolio for those who discuss graphic design work? I think it should be built in.
(2016-05-19, 10:52 AM)DeMoN100 Wrote: [ -> ]Who says a photo album can't show off a graphic portfolio for those who discuss graphic design work? I think it should be built in.

That's exactly why it should be a plugin. Plugins are features which not every board will need out of the box.
(2016-05-19, 10:52 AM)DeMoN100 Wrote: [ -> ]Who says a photo album can't show off a graphic portfolio for those who discuss graphic design work?  I think it should be built in.

I have to agree with Nathan on this one. Just because one class of site would benefit from a feature doesn't mean that feature should be core. Seriously, how many sites are dedicated to discussing graphic design?
(2016-05-19, 10:52 AM)DeMoN100 Wrote: [ -> ]Who says a photo album can't show off a graphic portfolio for those who discuss graphic design work? I think it should be built in.

Hey DeMoN100,
I totally get your point of view, but think of it this way : If you discuss graphic work, you'd probably need a photo album feature, you'd say the same thing about boards that revolve around gaming, you'd probably need a gaming feature or better, a Steam integration feature. Forums that are targetted towards selling and purchasing stuff would need a built-in shopping cart feature etc. But if the team were to please everybody, the repercussions would be enormous :
- MyBB would become WordPress 2.0, meaning those that only need a simple bulletin board would rather use something simple (such as PunBB or PHPBB) than MyBB.
- The release would be postponed for at-least 3 to 4 years, such features need coding, testing and tweaking.
- The team would be less encouraged as they wouldn't focus on enhancing the existing features, they'd have to build new ones.
- Time has proven that some plugins were BETTER than the built-in features.
- The Admin Board : it would be a gigantic mess, with all the features (with their options) installed by default as they are "built-in".
- Bugs : More code means more bugs, more bugs mean more options for hacks, more hacks mean more patches. Don't you hate it when Windows asks you to install a patch because some weird feature that you've never used is buggy?

Another example is Android or iPhone, if every needed feature was built-in, you wouldn't need to use Google Play or App Store.

And hey, you can always develop a photo album plugin, and decide whether to sell it and make profit out of it, or give it for free Smile
I too would agree this is better off as a plugin. It's of very limited use to only a small subset of forums.
Pages: 1 2