MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: This Is Laughable!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I look at the vBulletin forum now and then. There is a thread about a BB software called OvBB that minics vBulletin.

Well the thread started provided a link to OvBB and the forum would block it! The thread started was worried about 'copyrights'...

Well the topic was closed after 2 pages of people telling the creator why to change the license to GPL... Rolleyes

The software creater joined and kept saying he wanted to keep the license the way it is. Ok... Rolleyes

Well it was closed and one of the Developers was pretty 'rude' (i'll put it that way). But this topic is so laughable! It just is. Toungue

Topic - vBulletin Copyrights

OvBB - vBulletin Minic
The coding isn't anything near vB 2. I'm not programme, but I can read code pretty well, so I'd be able to tell if it was a clone. I'm actually beta testing the next version; it's pretty good. (But not as good as MyBB!)
To be honest, I like the look on that. Way better than VB3. The reason why his site was being 'blocked' was a past admin being tired of people having typed up vb b and so he did a replacement on that. I actually think it's fairly descent and once it takes into a major leap, it COULD have the potential to be up there.

drygnfyre Wrote:The coding isn't anything near vB 2. I'm not programme, but I can read code pretty well, so I'd be able to tell if it was a clone. I'm actually beta testing the next version; it's pretty good. (But not as good as MyBB!)

Yes I saw dF on the forums and knew it was you. I just could not keep a stright face while reading that thread.

I think that guy who closed the thread should be fired from Jelsoft. That could just kill any intrest of buying vBulletin. Rolleyes
Joel Wrote:
drygnfyre Wrote:The coding isn't anything near vB 2. I'm not programme, but I can read code pretty well, so I'd be able to tell if it was a clone. I'm actually beta testing the next version; it's pretty good. (But not as good as MyBB!)

Yes I saw dF on the forums and knew it was you. I just could not keep a stright face while reading that thread.

I think that guy who closed the thread should be fired from Jelsoft. That could just kill any intrest of buying vBulletin. Rolleyes
Why should Steve Machol be fired? He, like any other Jelsoft employee, would not allow discussions to carry on about vBulletin's competition. If you worked for Microsoft, and they had a BBS, would you want your members constantly talking about Apple products, whether bad or good? (You don't have to answer...)

Also, how would it kill interest? With the exception of one or two members, everyone who posted in that thread already owned a vB license. And actually, I have seen times where Jelsoft employees have recommended to prospective clients not to buy vBulletin, as they wouldn't need it. (i.e. very small forums, etc.)
Cory Wrote:To be honest, I like the look on that. Way better than VB3. The reason why his site was being 'blocked' was a past admin being tired of people having typed up vb b and so he did a replacement on that. I actually think it's fairly descent and once it takes into a major leap, it COULD have the potential to be up there.
Sorry to double post here, but have you beta tested version 0.06a? It fixes just about every issue with the current release. It looks pretty nice. One thing it needs, though, are <title> tags.
drygnfyre Wrote:
Joel Wrote:

Why should Steve Machol be fired? He, like any other Jelsoft employee, would not allow discussions to carry on about vBulletin's competition. If you worked for Microsoft, and they had a BBS, would you want your members constantly talking about Apple products, whether bad or good? (You don't have to answer...)

Also, how would it kill interest? With the exception of one or two members, everyone who posted in that thread already owned a vB license. And actually, I have seen times where Jelsoft employees have recommended to prospective clients not to buy vBulletin, as they wouldn't need it. (i.e. very small forums, etc.)

Ya i've seen vBulletin staff say not to buy vBulletin too. But Steve or who ever would of been a bit nicer.

I think he said the developers would look at the code. Correct? Well thats kinda scaring the creator of ovBB.

How would you like it if a company said "We're going to watch your every move. If you come out of your house we'll sue you!" Wink

Or if a company said "Take that off the market! If you dont we'll say you copied our idea!"

See my point? A big company with millions of dollors coming in daily chasing someone for copyright issues... Wink
Joel Wrote:
drygnfyre Wrote:
Joel Wrote:

Ya i've seen vBulletin staff say not to buy vBulletin too. But Steve or who ever would of been a bit nicer.

I think he said the developers would look at the code. Correct? Well thats kinda scaring the creator of ovBB.

How would you like it if a company said "We're going to watch your every move. If you come out of your house we'll sue you!" Wink

Or if a company said "Take that off the market! If you dont we'll say you copied our idea!"

See my point? A big company with millions of dollors coming in daily chasing someone for copyright issues... Wink
Jelsoft can investigate all they want; the coding is completely unique. I think they just were warning the author of ovBB not to try to sneak in any copyrighted vB 2 code. Besides, if the coding was indeed the same, then why doesn't ovBB already have all the features of vB 2?
Joel Wrote:I think he said the developers would look at the code. Correct? Well thats kinda scaring the creator of ovBB.

That is exactly what was said of MyBB when someone opened a thread and asked Jelsoft if MyBB was a rip of vB. The Jelfsot guys first said the same - "we will have a look at the code." Then later in the same thread they acknowledged that the look and the functioning of MyBB may be familiar with vB, but the coding is different. In fact they also said that they couldn't sue other sofwares just because they have a look of our software. Fair enough I guess! Smile And as far as I could recall, they didn't close that thread until it died down itself. So dicussion was allowed as we have a comparision thread going on here on this very forum.
As far as I know, a company can't actually copyright a "look." I mean, sure, they can copyright a given logo or design, but when "look" comes down to colors, layout, etc.; no one really owns that. So both MyBB and ovBB may look similar to vB, but as long as the actual functions aren't the same, it's fine.

And what's wrong with trying to mimic vB, anyway? vBulletin is an awesome piece of software, and worth every penny. Any free alternatives are great.