MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam bots, i'm going mad..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I made simple plugin, if new user (few than 3 replies) made post or thread with more than 2 links, it wouldn't pass. Or if time between his registration and making replies is less than 10 seconds.
Try using NOCAPTCHA ReCaptcha and using stopforumspam. Both of those can really make a good difference.
You can make an usergroup (for users with less than 10posts) to force them using CAPTCHA everytime they make a reply. When they have more than 10posts, they get promoted to a CAPTCHA-free usergroup.

Captcha plug-in for every post(haven't tested it): http://community.mybb.com/thread-163858.html
(2016-06-21, 02:32 PM)Hugop Wrote: [ -> ]You can make an usergroup (for users with less than 10posts) to force them using CAPTCHA everytime they make a reply. When they have more than 10posts, they get promoted to a CAPTCHA-free usergroup.

If you did that to me, I'd leave.

One post, moderation queue. Until that post is approved, any subsequent ones also in Mod Q; then you can see if they're spamming or not.

I sign up using a Captcha, I will not post when logged in with one.
(2016-06-22, 12:40 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-21, 02:32 PM)Hugop Wrote: [ -> ]You can make an usergroup (for users with less than 10posts) to force them using CAPTCHA everytime they make a reply. When they have more than 10posts, they get promoted to a CAPTCHA-free usergroup.

If you did that to me, I'd leave.

One post, moderation queue. Until that post is approved, any subsequent ones also in Mod Q; then you can see if they're spamming or not.

I sign up using a Captcha, I will not post when logged in with one.

It's just 10posts(can be changed), I am sure you prefer doing some easy CAPTCHAs than waiting hours for moderation, because I would leave if that happens. Anyway, I think it would be troublesome for bigger forums.

But it is a nice alternative and if I am right, it is a group permision.
(2016-06-22, 01:13 AM)Hugop Wrote: [ -> ]I am sure you prefer doing some easy CAPTCHAs than waiting hours for moderation

I would prefer to have a distributed team - and giving them something to do.

Clearly you don't know your userbase all that well.
use StopForumSpam, I had the same problem, enable registration activation by email aswell.
Ensure email verification is turnt on.

Tornado Mitr

Hello! Make sure all options on Stop Forum Spam are on, I personally have the weighing on 15.00 to make sure no 'zero-day' bots or spammers are able to get past. Also you could ensure you have a Security Question, like 2+2 and Captcha is on Smile
Just put a security question. Ideally if your community is centered around a particular hobby or interest, then you can put a question almost everyone can answer. It made a drastic difference for me on PunBB and still works on MyBB.

Don't put a dumb question that bots can understand like "what is 2+3" . Put a unique question. For example if your forum is about cars, you'd add "what is the auto maker brand that start with v and end with n".. something like that (I don't know squat about cars, I just made that up).

I remember on PunBB I had that captcha thing from Google and it was such a piece of crap. It never stopped anything and seemed to make things worse. Once I replaced with a *unique* security question 95% of the spam went away.
Pages: 1 2 3