MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 Status/Progress Update?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have not seen any updates on the blog regarding 2.0 lately, can an update on the progress and maybe some new snapshots be provided?

Id also like to seen the admin panel if possible?.
Apparently not progressing, or extremely slow progression. From the forum we see still 12 implemented features and 24 planned. The latest update for the public repos are a month ago.

If the project keeps delaying, by the time it comes out it is just another outdated system as the web always improving, i.e. the argument on coding in html5 years ago.
(2016-06-05, 01:02 AM)fallr Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently not progressing, or extremely slow progression. From the forum we see still 12 implemented features and 24 planned. The latest update for the public repos are a month ago.

If the project keeps delaying, by the time it comes out it is just another outdated system as the web always improving, i.e. the argument on coding in html5 years ago.

Any recommendations on a more modern/up to date forum software? I checked out phpbb and while they seem to update frequently it just has that old feel/look to it.
(2016-06-05, 02:48 AM)Darkside96 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-05, 01:02 AM)fallr Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently not progressing, or extremely slow progression. From the forum we see still 12 implemented features and 24 planned. The latest update for the public repos are a month ago.

Any recommendations on a more modern/up to date forum software? I checked out phpbb and while they seem to update frequently it just has that old feel/look to it.

If you want more modern look of mybb, try using responsive theme.

I am using the "outdated" mybb but with updated theme, and it's looked quite modern now  Big Grin
(2016-06-05, 02:48 AM)Darkside96 Wrote: [ -> ]

Flarum seems gaining popularity over the year (new and quite elegant) but still in beta, and no merging tool for transferring from other systems just yet. Some other proprietary software are up to date but not free so not recommended. Free is always good Big Grin . But I'll wait for mybb2.0 because of some planned features that I really like to see, i.e. API.
You have to remember that the MyBB team are volunteers. We have our personal lives, personal projects, the 1.8 series and the 2.0 series to all work on at the same time.
i think MyBB 2.0.x is so far (4 to 5 years) .
(2016-06-05, 07:07 PM)Ben C Wrote: [ -> ]You have to remember that the MyBB team are volunteers. We have our personal lives, personal projects, the 1.8 series and the 2.0 series to all work on at the same time.

Not trying to sound like an @$$ but MyBB is a job, just like any other volunteering job such as volunteer fire fighter you go into work and get the job done. 

Now while I am sure everyone has a normal life and a normal job surely there has to be an hour or two available in there day of which they can at least work on 2.0 and get it out.

It just seems to me that MyBB is starting to edge towards becoming a dead forum software because more modern ones are in the works such as Flarum and then Codoforum while they are still in beta they are working on getting it out frequently. 

Honestly 1.8 should only receive severe bug and vulnerability patches as well as some security updates from now on to help push on further 2.0 development by keeping it simple.
(2016-06-05, 08:37 PM)Darkside96 Wrote: [ -> ]Not trying to sound like an @$$ but MyBB is a job, just like any other volunteering job such as volunteer fire fighter you go into work and get the job done. 

Now while I am sure everyone has a normal life and a normal job surely there has to be an hour or two available in there day of which they can at least work on 2.0 and get it out.

It just seems to me that MyBB is starting to edge towards becoming a dead forum software because more modern ones are in the works such as Flarum and then Codoforum while they are still in beta they are working on getting it out frequently. 

Honestly 1.8 should only receive severe bug and vulnerability patches as well as some security updates from now on to help push on further 2.0 development by keeping it simple.

Hey there, you probably know that MyBB's volunteer coders don't get paid for what they do like Fire Fighters do, right?
The feeling that MyBB is edging towards its death, could probably be explained by the fact that discussion boards are not a thing anymore as they were 20 years ago, it's not only about MyBB itself.
And why don't you join the team and help them write some code for 2.0 instead of giving them tough love.

(2016-06-05, 08:37 PM)Darkside96 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly 1.8 should only receive severe bug and vulnerability patches as well as some security updates from now on to help push on further 2.0 development by keeping it simple.

It's been a year since MyBB 1.8 didn't get a single feature update, it seems to me that the team is really devoted towards making 2.0 code. Again, instead of telling them what to do and what not, you can fork MyBB 2.0 and start coding with them Smile
There's no excuse not to, if you have free time, PHP / Laravel / CSS / JS / HTML tutorials are all around YouTube Wink
(2016-06-05, 09:01 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-05, 08:37 PM)Darkside96 Wrote: [ -> ]Not trying to sound like an @$$ but MyBB is a job, just like any other volunteering job such as volunteer fire fighter you go into work and get the job done. 

Hey there, you probably know that MyBB's volunteer coders don't get paid for what they do like Fire Fighters do, right?
The feeling that MyBB is edging towards its death, could probably be explained by the fact that discussion boards are not a thing anymore as they were 20 years ago, it's not only about MyBB itself.
And why don't you join the team and help them write some code for 2.0 instead of giving them tough love.

(2016-06-05, 08:37 PM)Darkside96 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly 1.8 should only receive severe bug and vulnerability patches as well as some security updates from now on to help push on further 2.0 development by keeping it simple.

It's been a year since MyBB 1.8 didn't get a single feature update, it seems to me that the team is really devoted towards making 2.0 code. Again, instead of telling them what to do and what not, you can fork MyBB 2.0 and start coding with them Smile
There's no excuse not to, if you have free time, PHP / Laravel / CSS / JS / HTML tutorials are all around YouTube Wink

Volunteer fire fighters do NOT get paid.

And if I had the years of experience in coding I would volunteer but unfortunately I only started getting into coding about 5-6 months ago.

I specialize in auto mechanics.
Pages: 1 2