MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: if MyBB stopped developing this software could people still use it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
if MyBB stopped developing this software could people still use it if they have the files downloaded?
yes, users can still use MyBB. however there is no intention to stop the development of MyBB.
if a developer stopped the contribution there'll be a new developer to help MyBB, MyBB is not going to die at least for upcoming few years. And i am sure after the launch of 2.0 MyBB'll be number one board among paid boards as well.
Of course. However, MyBB is open source. The team is fluid and everyone is a volunteer. It would take every single team member to quit and for Chris to stop paying for the project for there to be any serious concerns. Even then, with MyBB being open source anyone would be free to take it over.
so then even if it was abandoned people who already have the files downloaded could just continue using it?
(2016-06-14, 01:58 PM)ahawkua Wrote: [ -> ]so then even if it was abandoned people who already have the files downloaded could just continue using it?

Yes, but features like the update check for the core and plugins would stop working (assuming mybb.com would no longer be active) and security patches would no longer be released, leaving your server, forum and its users vulnerable.
(2016-06-14, 02:02 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-14, 01:58 PM)ahawkua Wrote: [ -> ]so then even if it was abandoned people who already have the files downloaded could just continue using it?

Yes, but features like the update check for the core and plugins would stop working (assuming mybb.com would no longer be active) and security patches would no longer be released, leaving your server, forum and its users vulnerable.

so the plugins i have downloaded and use on my site would stop working?
^ no, plugins will not stop working.
No, they would still work.
oh awesome thank you all very much for your help Smile