MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Potential merge from vBulletin 4.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some questions about merging from a vBulletin 4, using the Merge System.

Do I have to know the DB server details where the vBulletin 4 was hosted?  Or, can I use a dump of the vBulletin database?

I might not have access to the DB server.  But I might be able to get a dump.
vB database is required. in general, it needs to be on the same server of MyBB forum database.

see running Merge System
Another question. Do I have to do the merge before I set up My BB?

Or, would I be able to do it later?

Can I also use Create My BB to host it? Will I be able to import vBulletin using the Merge System through them too?

http://www.createmybb.com/support/

(2016-06-15, 03:43 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]vB database is required. in general, it needs to be on the same server of MyBB forum database.

see running Merge System

Thank you. I guess that's going to be a problem then, since I won't have access to the DB server. I wanted to import someone else's forum (with their permission).

Do you know of any other free forum that allows import from vBulletin, without needing access to their DB server, and without it needing to be on the same DB server? Like through a DB dump.
you would need access to a database server. MyBB should be already installed (need not be a fresh install)
MyBB forum server should have provision for adding the other system database & you should have full access.

createmybb site cannot be used for the Merge System.

And you may install MyBB on your computer by using local server system (eg. XAMPP) and do required merge.
the merged database can be used for a live MyBB forum (not at createmybb sites) - better to have paid hosting.
(2016-06-15, 03:56 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]you would need access to a database server. MyBB should be already installed (need not be a fresh install)
MyBB forum server should have provision for adding the other system database & you should have full access.

And you may install MyBB on your computer by using local server system (eg. XAMPP) and do required merge.
the merged database can be used for a live MyBB forum (not at createmybb sites) - better to have paid hosting.

Thank you.

So it is possible to do a merge of vBulletin, even if vBulletin was on another DB server, as long as I had access, right?  But not through a DB dump?  Just making sure, so I know to what extent I'll pursue trying to do the forum merge, and to what extent I'll pursue trying to get access from the vBulletin forum owner.

So if I had any kind of paid hosting, I could use their DB for which to do the merge on, correct?  And I'd also have full admin control, vs. having having a free MyBB site host it (like createmybb), where there would be some settings I might not have control over?

On another note, would I be able to modify settings, such as number of nested quotes (what if I want all nested quotes in a reply by default)?  Actually can you do nested quotes with MyBB?  I'm not sure, just by looking at it.

(2016-06-15, 06:33 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-15, 03:56 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]you would need access to a database server. MyBB should be already installed (need not be a fresh install)

Thank you.

So it is possible to do a merge of vBulletin, even if vBulletin was on another DB server, as long as I had access, right?  But not through a DB dump?  Just making sure, so I know to what extent I'll pursue trying to do the forum merge, and to what extent I'll pursue trying to get access from the vBulletin forum owner.

So if I had any kind of paid hosting, I could use their DB for which to do the merge on, correct?  And I'd also have full admin control, vs. having having a free MyBB site host it (like createmybb), where there would be some settings I might not have control over?

On another note, would I be able to modify settings, such as number of nested quotes (what if I want all nested quotes in a reply by default)?  Actually can you do nested quotes with MyBB?  I'm not sure, just by looking at it.

Ok, I see nested quoting is possible.  I didn't see it before because I was using the full editor.  But it's easier to see the quote tags and and how they'd be nested directly in the quick reply section.

My only remaining open questions for now are the other items in my post above.  And maybe some general pros and cons of using a free MyBB site host like create my bb, vs a paid host.