MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No follow is beneficial to webmaster ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have seen some boards give " No follow " to all links by default. What do you take of it ? Is it appreciable from admin point of view ? Does 2.0 gives " no follow " by default ?
I don't like using nofollow at all. Sometimes linking to good external resources can be good for SEO. I rather use meta noindex on pages, or look to remove a link completely if it's not trustworthy.
rel="nofollow" means that the link's target won't benefit from your site's reputation. It is a way of saying that you don't endorse the other site's content. It can be beneficial if you allow users to post URLs without being vetted by moderators. It is used to limit the effectiveness of content spamming.

Relevant links without nofollow will actually increase your ranking. MyBB 1.x is not smart enough to sometimes use nofollow and sometimes not. I have a custom MyCode parser which compares links to lists of whitelisted and blacklisted domains. White listed domains (such as Wikipedia) don't carry nofollow, thus both Wikipedia and my site benefit by the link. Links to blacklisted domains are swallowed up. Links to domains that are neither whitelisted nor blacklisted have nofollow as well as adding text to show visitors the domain name (similar to how links on slashdot.org work). I also unshorten some URL shortening mechanisms (bit.ly for example) so it is harder to bypass this filter.
a few years back on a previous site I used to admin, we actually had a few advertisers who bought ad space on the forum complain that the forum was ranking higher in search engines when people were searching for their said company than the company's websites them self. we ended up adding nofollow links to all of the ads we ran.

I just do that by default on the new forum I run when someone buys ad space.
We should have nofollow links in our backlink profile to make it look natural.
(2016-06-17, 12:20 PM)anonlineninja Wrote: [ -> ]We should have nofollow links in our backlink profile to make it look natural.

If you're trying to make something look natural you're doing it wrong.
I use a mix of NoFollow + DoFollow to make it look natural.
I did a little digging around and came to the unhelpful conclusion that it all depends. This guide has some good info covering follow vs nofollow and related topics - hope it helps you find more clarity on the subject.
Am against the nofollow websites where efforts have no use in generating back links.